Echo & Alexa Forums

Tap First Impressions?

ScottinPollock

Re: Tap First Impressions?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2016, 03:30:54 pm »
Now you're confusing me. Do you align with dfine1966 and believe you hear a change based on these commands? I'll be the first to admit my ears aren't what they use to be, but I could get out the ol' pink noise generator and make a few measurements.

DParker

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2016, 03:43:04 pm »
Now you're confusing me. Do you align with dfine1966 and believe you hear a change based on these commands?

LOL....no.  Sorry, I thought the reference to Quija boards and the ideomotor phenomenon would make the joke obvious.

mike27oct

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2016, 01:22:37 am »
>>  As it stands now, I actually have my Dot using the Tap as it's BT speaker, which is kinda funny when I think about it :P

Personally I would not admit to doing this, even if I was!  Why should this be done if the Tap has all the parts it needs to play alone?  It's not "kinda funny" it's ridiculous. LOL   ;)
If you take a moment to think instead of reflexively popping off yet another condescending crack the logic behind the combination is obvious, and makes perfect sense.  The Tap is taken and used for its portability when not inside the home.  But when inside, the Dot serves better as the primary Alexa interface because of its "always listening" mode of operation, and the Tap, rather than sitting idle, serves as the Dot's external speaker by virtue of its superior sound.

Not ridiculous at all.

Parker:   If you take a moment to think instead of reflexively popping off yet another condescending crack at me, you would have checked out the reference I gave to lovemyecho.com where the site admin says in her first reviews of the Dot and Tap:

Q: Can you [Bluetooth] pair the Dot to the Tap?
A: Yes, but I don’t recommend it. In my tests Bluetooth connectivity between the Dot and Tap was wonky and error-prone. Future Dot/Tap software updates may help, but for the time being a cabled connection will be more reliable.

I still believe it is a bit ridiculous to use a similar and more expensive produce (the Tap) as a BT speaker for a much lesser cost product (the Dot).

Instead of chastising me once again, why didn't you help out with a better solution?

Well, here is one of many solutions for anyone to consider:

Instead of doing the above, buy an el-cheapo ($15 or less) portable BT speaker and play the Dot to THAT, instead of to a $130 Tap!  I have one (I use when doing yard work, etc,) that I can use with a Dot, too, and since the speaker is usually not in use, I will use it for one of my Dots.  It may be an el-cheapo BT speaker, but it will still sound better than the Dot's speaker.

DParker

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2016, 10:48:56 am »
I still believe it is a bit ridiculous to use a similar and more expensive produce (the Tap) as a BT speaker for a much lesser cost product (the Dot).

And I already explained why it's a perfectly logical thing to do, amd why the relative costs of the two devices is utterly irelevant.  That you think it's "ridiculous" to put that more expensive device to good use as a speaker when you're not using it for anything else rather than just letting it sit around doing nothing is rather bizarre.

Instead of chastising me once again, why didn't you help out with a better solution?

Because if what he's doing works (he didn't complain about a flaky or otherwise substandard BT connection between the two devices) then he doesn't need a better solution.  And telling him that what he's doing is "ridiculous" and that he needs to go out and buy yet another device to clutter up his home certainly doesn't qualify.