Echo & Alexa Forums

App out of sync with server

jdeacon

App out of sync with server
« on: November 23, 2018, 05:15:20 am »
Having the ability to understand the shopping list is a great improvement. But it's revealed that there are uncompleted items on the list that are not shown by the app (or the PC browser alexa.amazon page). "Alexa add olive oil", "You already have olive oil", ... Hmm can't see it.

If I get alexa to read the list, the item is there; it's just not visible via the app(s). Is any way known that can force the app to sync with the servers?

asianrocker

Re: App out of sync with server
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 08:43:19 am »
Are you using the built in grocery app or a 3rd party? I always use  shopping list and I never have that problem. Maybe if you reboot your phone it will fix it.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to delete the previous items on my list. There's no delete button.. hmmm.

NVM played with my app just now and tried the swipe move and there goes the delete icon. Cool. Now I'm happy I've cleaned out my list. Use to bug me that I can't remove any items in there for the longest time.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 08:54:34 am by asianrocker »

jdeacon

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 10:58:13 am »
It's all built-in stuff: built in shopping list and built in, "Alexa, what's on my shopping list?"

The phone's been rebooted at least twice; and let me repeat, the PC alexa.amazon.co.uk web page's shopping list has the same fault.

I look at the app or the browser page and the item isn't there; I ask Alexa to add it and she tell's me it's already there, or I ask what's on the shopping list and she lists it as being there.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 11:30:18 am »
Are you using the built in grocery app or a 3rd party? I always use  shopping list and I never have that problem. Maybe if you reboot your phone it will fix it.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to delete the previous items on my list. There's no delete button.. hmmm.

NVM played with my app just now and tried the swipe move and there goes the delete icon. Cool. Now I'm happy I've cleaned out my list. Use to bug me that I can't remove any items in there for the longest time.

click the three dots at the top right and can also clear completed if you have more than one item.  a bit faster than swiping to delete. 

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 11:34:55 am »
Having the ability to understand the shopping list is a great improvement. But it's revealed that there are uncompleted items on the list that are not shown by the app (or the PC browser alexa.amazon page). "Alexa add olive oil", "You already have olive oil", ... Hmm can't see it.

If I get alexa to read the list, the item is there; it's just not visible via the app(s). Is any way known that can force the app to sync with the servers?

might need to contact amazon about this.  I am having no problems with items immediately appearing on the shopping list when adding. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 03:21:12 pm »
Perhaps your items were added to your Amazon shopping cart. Alexa can do a few types of lists. One of them is for online shopping at Amazon. I have that featured turned off on all my Echoes because I don't want to accidentally order something by voice.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 03:46:25 pm »
Perhaps your items were added to your Amazon shopping cart. Alexa can do a few types of lists. One of them is for online shopping at Amazon. I have that featured turned off on all my Echoes because I don't want to accidentally order something by voice.

that is why I use a pin number for my voice shopping - will make it hard to accidentally order something.  who knows when amazon will have some offer that is voice only that would be hard to resist  :-)

one thing about the list, if the item went into the shopping cart, it would not be read when asking for the list as mentioned  :-)

jdeacon

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 03:48:54 pm »
I hadn't thought of the Amazon shopping basket, but no, on checking it's empty.

I had thought of clearing the completed, which I did, but which didn't cure the problem.

Adding new items isn't the problem. Items do indeed appear pretty much immediately. The problem is with items I've added in the past (and that were almost certainly visible on the list at that time) but which have now become "invisible" in the app. It's like the app is treating them as though I've ticked them as completed (which I didn't do as far as I am aware) but the list on the server (the one Alexa reads out) still has them, correctly, as uncompleted.

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 03:56:21 pm »
I hadn't thought of the Amazon shopping basket, but no, on checking it's empty.

I had thought of clearing the completed, which I did, but which didn't cure the problem.

Adding new items isn't the problem. Items do indeed appear pretty much immediately. The problem is with items I've added in the past (and that were almost certainly visible on the list at that time) but which have now become "invisible" in the app. It's like the app is treating them as though I've ticked them as completed (which I didn't do as far as I am aware) but the list on the server (the one Alexa reads out) still has them, correctly, as uncompleted.

that is why I suggesting contacting amazon, something unusual is happening on your shopping list.  If something has been checked as completed, it will not be read.   it should not see anything that has been deleted in the past. 

you might also get help at amazons own forums.  they do have their own people that visit and  might be able to help

https://www.amazonforum.com/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 03:58:32 pm by renegade600 »

dragon123

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 05:49:39 pm »

I had something similar early this year. It seemed like my show went away on it's own 'cloud' or something: it showed as 'offline' on my pc, shopping list wasn't accurate/was old, and 'can't find ...' as well.

I reset the show and made sure it was on the same wifi as my dots (it was on the 5GHz wifi, the dots are on my 2.4 GHz wifi), and voila, all problems went away  :) YMMV.

jdeacon

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 03:51:45 am »
Restarts didn't work I'm afraid.

In the end I told Alexa to clear the shopping list. Despite the apps still showing an empty list, Alexa asked if I was sure I wanted to delete all the items which I confirmed. I put  a couple of new items on the list and everything is now back in sync.

If it happens again I'll summon up the will power to engage with Amazon technical support.