Echo & Alexa Forums

Dot First Impressions

Dot First Impressions
« on: March 31, 2016, 03:23:42 pm »
Received mine an hour ago and set it up (actually got 2 of them).  Sound is a bit lower than I had anticipated, though I knew it would not come close to matching its larger brother I wish it were a bit louder.  I fear that in loud rooms you will not be able to hear it.  Also, when connected via bluetooth it does not emit any sound...  I had hoped to use it with a stereo in my basement but the stereo is usually not on.  Now I think I will have to manually connect it (not sure if I need the app or can voice command it) and disconnect it.  Would have been nice if the speaker still transmitted sound even when paired.

The size is slightly bigger than a hockey puck.  I like the footprint. 

Anyone else?

EugB

Re: Dot First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 04:13:55 pm »
Received mine an hour ago and set it up (actually got 2 of them).  Sound is a bit lower than I had anticipated, though I knew it would not come close to matching its larger brother I wish it were a bit louder. 

Anyone else?

Yup, got two as well.  And I'm actually surprised how loud they are since I had read not to expect it to be louder than a cell phone.  I was concerned you wouldn't be able to hear replies, but I hear them just fine.  I'm impressed.

I bought them to control various lights and such away from the main echo in different parts of the house.  I think they're going to be perfect for this.

EugB

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 04:18:21 pm »
Wish there was a way to force them to update their firmware.  I saw somewhere to mute it for 30 minutes, so I'm going to try that and see if they update.

leehop71

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 04:32:07 pm »
Wish there was a way to force them to update their firmware.  I saw somewhere to mute it for 30 minutes, so I'm going to try that and see if they update.

Let me know if that works for the update Eug.

I am charging the Bose so haven't had the opportunity to use it that way yet.  I am too thinking it louder than I expected.

I almost feel compelled to get another one for the family room, since it isn't portable.

Anxious to hear the first impressions on the Tap.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 04:46:53 pm »
Received mine an hour ago and set it up (actually got 2 of them).  Sound is a bit lower than I had anticipated, though I knew it would not come close to matching its larger brother I wish it were a bit louder. 

Anyone else?

Yup, got two as well.  And I'm actually surprised how loud they are since I had read not to expect it to be louder than a cell phone.  I was concerned you wouldn't be able to hear replies, but I hear them just fine.  I'm impressed.

I bought them to control various lights and such away from the main echo in different parts of the house.  I think they're going to be perfect for this.

Wow, mine didnt seem loud at all!  Maybe my expectations were skewed...  I too bought it to control home automation from various areas of the house.  I have an arcade in my basement and like to turn it on with one phrase!  ...or off.

DParker

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 05:13:16 pm »
Wow, mine didnt seem loud at all!  Maybe my expectations were skewed...  I too bought it to control home automation from various areas of the house.  I have an arcade in my basement and like to turn it on with one phrase!  ...or off.

This probably sounds like a stupid question and/or a baseless assumption, but I presume the Dot has the same volume options as the Echo.  If so, did you try turning yours all the way up?

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 05:54:45 pm »

This probably sounds like a stupid question and/or a baseless assumption, but I presume the Dot has the same volume options as the Echo.  If so, did you try turning yours all the way up?

Yes, I did.  I really do like it a lot, just wish it were a bit louder. 

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 06:28:27 pm »
was hoping to give my first impressions by this time but the weather delayed my delivery.  I now hope to get it Friday.  I kind of expected it to have a weather delay when all the storms and flooding started last night but I was still hoping - until I got the text.  oh well...

EugB

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 06:41:47 pm »

I am charging the Bose so haven't had the opportunity to use it that way yet.  I am too thinking it louder than I expected.

I almost feel compelled to get another one for the family room, since it isn't portable.

It worked.  I put all three units on Mute (the two dots and the Echo which already had the update) and I stayed out of the Alexa app.  Checked it about 45 minutes later and the dots got the update.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 09:12:47 pm »
Although not a scientific way to measure volume loudness, here's a video comparing the regular Echo and Echo Dot side to side. You be the judge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY5OVcPZoi0

In my opinion, the Echo Dot is sufficiently loud for its small size.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:15:30 pm by jwlv »

leehop71

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 09:47:04 pm »

It worked.  I put all three units on Mute (the two dots and the Echo which already had the update) and I stayed out of the Alexa app.  Checked it about 45 minutes later and the dots got the update.

Just curious as to how you knew the Dots were updated?  Comparing the firmware versions to the Echo?

RadYOacTiVe

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 09:54:52 pm »
Checked mine and the Dot and Echo are on the most current firmware.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201602210

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Offline jwlv

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 10:39:20 pm »
My Echo Dot arrived with firmware 3024. I checked via the App. I also saw that my regular Echo had firmware 3202. So I pushed the mute button on the Dot and left it alone for about half an hour. Checked again through the app, and it's now 3202.

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 12:12:50 am »
Although not a scientific way to measure volume loudness, here's a video comparing the regular Echo and Echo Dot side to side. You be the judge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY5OVcPZoi0

In my opinion, the Echo Dot is sufficiently loud for its small size.

Not even close.  Nor should it be though. 

linuxman

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 07:31:24 am »
I set mine up, and they work great.  I'll be using mine with external speakers/amps, but the internal volume is sufficient for basic interaction.  Of course the fidelity is pretty poor with the internal speaker, but that's to be expected.

I noticed that during setup it asked if the device would be used standalone or with external audio.  Anyone know why the question?  It works with either no matter how you answer.  I don't know if it might change how it processes mic input, or if it was just a survey type question.  I don't see anything in the interface to change that "setting" though, if it is a setting.

In any case, these will be a nice compliment to my main Echo.  I've been lamenting the lack of an Echo in my basement office :) .