Echo & Alexa Forums

New Dot won't play music in Group

PhillipsFam

New Dot won't play music in Group
« on: November 13, 2018, 10:08:25 pm »
I bought two new echo dots, set them up with the ap and then tried to create a group (for example one group called bedroom) which I added one of the new dots to. Then I said "Alexa play Jimmy Buffet Station in Bedroom". It says I can't play music in group yet...". This worked fine on an older dot. All our Echo Dots are gen 2 and have the same software version. Why are the new ones not working while the older ones are?  And FYI, I have multi-room music set up for all of them as a different group and that works fine. I found that for the older Dots I could set up a group and it would play music on them. I can be in the kitchen and say "Alexa play Jimmy Buffet Station in Bathroom" and it will. But not with these newer ones. Anyone have a thought on this?

PhillipsFam

Re: New Dot won't play music in Group
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 11:27:16 pm »
FYI, after some more tinkering around I got it working but only on one. I thought the culprit was that I was naming the devices with multiple words (ie: Living Room vs. LivingRoom). Changing it to a single word with no spaces or special characters made it work but not on the other Dot so I'm not sure why it magically started working on the one. Still hoping someone can explain to me soon.