Echo & Alexa Forums

One Echo Dot--multiple devices in rooms

Bean

One Echo Dot--multiple devices in rooms
« on: November 07, 2018, 07:13:36 pm »
Hi all, newbie here.  Can my Dot in the kitchen control smart lightsbulbs, or smart outlet plugs in another room  say upstairs?  And then different ones in kitchen or downstairs basement.  Or do I have to purchase multiple dots (repeater devices) ?

Re: One Echo Dot--multiple devices in rooms
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 05:22:07 am »
 one dot can control any lights, plugs or whatever in the house as long as they are on the same amazon account and within wifi range.   so yes your dot in the kitchen can control everything.  but for convenience, it would be better to have multiple echo devices through out the house so you won't have to go into the kitchen just to give it a command.

Bean

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 06:56:27 am »
Renegade. thank you, I guess I did not think of how I would activate the lights or something upstairs when I am there and Alexa is down in the kitchen.  Will look into that.  Guess though if I was downstairs, I could tell Alexa to turn on or off the lights upstairs before going up.
Thanks

fstbusa

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 08:39:11 am »
Renegade. thank you, I guess I did not think of how I would activate the lights or something upstairs when I am there and Alexa is down in the kitchen.  Will look into that.  Guess though if I was downstairs, I could tell Alexa to turn on or off the lights upstairs before going up.
Thanks

My kids do this constantly... they also use the Echo upstairs to turn on the basement lights before going down even though there is a switch right at the bottom of the steps.