« on: October 30, 2018, 03:58:10 pm »
Hi all- is it worth upgrading my 2nd gen dot?- thanks

Re: 3rd gen dot
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 04:25:25 pm »
no reason to upgrade.  really no difference other than style and sound

MartinB999

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 08:35:32 am »
I would agree, stick with the 2nd generation until there are breakthroughs in what the system can do.

Andy

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 04:27:08 pm »
Thanks will keep what i have

Andy

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 06:25:23 pm »
Tbh i prefer the look of the 2nd gen- not a fan of the fabric.

Sujit

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 03:52:35 am »
Hi all- is it worth upgrading my 2nd gen dot?- thanks

Maybe? It is half price at the moment.

GaryM

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 04:15:37 am »
They're only £24.99 at the moment. Not available till after Christmas though.  I think they have a much better quality of sound if you like playing radio and music.

Sujit

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 06:41:20 am »
They're only £24.99 at the moment. Not available till after Christmas though.  I think they have a much better quality of sound if you like playing radio and music.

Just got it from Argos - in stock.

GaryM

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 07:23:55 am »
Wow you were lucky then, got 6 Argos' near me and out of stock in all of them.

JARVIS

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 07:36:11 pm »
stupendous price....and yes i got mine early - my first AI :)

Amazing music capability given ridiculous speaker size and sound channeling !

Still learning - you can adjust bass and treble by asking - yes very effective

Cant access 'follow on' yet - for some reason only in US App!! - really want ths feature (without loading US App and switchin around) as it makes it more conversational, using real time dynamic memory - I have found using prompt button can evoke some amount of follow on

Dont like to use wake word continually so will prob buy a remote :)

Construction quality of unit is first class - even the cable is a rubberised plastic

I would have thought far better sound would have come radiating through cloth mesh rather than mini holes in base circumference - better still, why not use a 60 mm flat plane speaker firing directly through a top mesh grille and put controls around circumference? - Mid and top freqs through top and bass through 'woofer' firing down through existing holes? - Unit can afford to be twice the depth and incl recharge pack without treading on toes of the larger units

If present one makes sense for manuf at £24 - the improved design could no doubt be done for £49 net retail - hec, make it a 'deluxe' variant on Base Dot :)

I set my unit up using a PC rather than the much referred to Smart Phone

The Indi Apps are all pretty naff, so hope Alexa keeps developing their own - PC inter action could be interesting :)

TimHem

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 06:52:10 pm »
with argos they will delivery to store if they have no stock...they will say takes a few days, but more often than not it will only take a day.
The follow on definitely does work in uk. If you have background noise like tv, it dosnt work so well though. It just keeps the echo active for about 5 seconds