Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

3rd gen dot

Offline Andy

3rd gen dot
« on: October 30, 2018, 03:58:10 pm »
Hi all- is it worth upgrading my 2nd gen dot?- thanks

Re: 3rd gen dot
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 04:25:25 pm »
no reason to upgrade.  really no difference other than style and sound

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 08:35:32 am »
I would agree, stick with the 2nd generation until there are breakthroughs in what the system can do.

Offline Andy

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 04:27:08 pm »
Thanks will keep what i have

Offline Andy

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 06:25:23 pm »
Tbh i prefer the look of the 2nd gen- not a fan of the fabric.

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 03:52:35 am »
Hi all- is it worth upgrading my 2nd gen dot?- thanks

Maybe? It is half price at the moment.

Offline GaryM

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 04:15:37 am »
They're only 24.99 at the moment. Not available till after Christmas though.  I think they have a much better quality of sound if you like playing radio and music.

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 06:41:20 am »
They're only 24.99 at the moment. Not available till after Christmas though.  I think they have a much better quality of sound if you like playing radio and music.

Just got it from Argos - in stock.

Offline GaryM

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 07:23:55 am »
Wow you were lucky then, got 6 Argos' near me and out of stock in all of them.

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 07:36:11 pm »
stupendous price....and yes i got mine early - my first AI :)

Amazing music capability given ridiculous speaker size and sound channeling !

Still learning - you can adjust bass and treble by asking - yes very effective

Cant access 'follow on' yet - for some reason only in US App!! - really want ths feature (without loading US App and switchin around) as it makes it more conversational, using real time dynamic memory - I have found using prompt button can evoke some amount of follow on

Dont like to use wake word continually so will prob buy a remote :)

Construction quality of unit is first class - even the cable is a rubberised plastic

I would have thought far better sound would have come radiating through cloth mesh rather than mini holes in base circumference - better still, why not use a 60 mm flat plane speaker firing directly through a top mesh grille and put controls around circumference? - Mid and top freqs through top and bass through 'woofer' firing down through existing holes? - Unit can afford to be twice the depth and incl recharge pack without treading on toes of the larger units

If present one makes sense for manuf at 24 - the improved design could no doubt be done for 49 net retail - hec, make it a 'deluxe' variant on Base Dot :)

I set my unit up using a PC rather than the much referred to Smart Phone

The Indi Apps are all pretty naff, so hope Alexa keeps developing their own - PC inter action could be interesting :)

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 06:52:10 pm »
with argos they will delivery to store if they have no stock...they will say takes a few days, but more often than not it will only take a day.
The follow on definitely does work in uk. If you have background noise like tv, it dosnt work so well though. It just keeps the echo active for about 5 seconds