Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Plus, Amazon Fire stick and non smart TV

keyboard warrior

Echo Plus, Amazon Fire stick and non smart TV
« on: November 18, 2018, 05:36:39 am »
Hi there, new to the forum.

Just dived in to getting the new 3rd gen Echo Dot, Echo Plus 2nd Gen and Echo 2nd Gen, Philips Hue lights and hub.

My question is, i have a non smart television and i am wondering if i buy a Firestick for the television will i then be able to control the televisions functions. Functions such as changing the channel and turning it on and off.

I am trying to get as much use out the equipment i have bought so if this worked with TV functions as well as controlling my Tivo box it would be a great asset.

Regards

dragon123

Re: Echo Plus, Amazon Fire stick and non smart TV
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 06:58:34 am »
Hi there, new to the forum.

Just dived in to getting the new 3rd gen Echo Dot, Echo Plus 2nd Gen and Echo 2nd Gen, Philips Hue lights and hub.

My question is, i have a non smart television and i am wondering if i buy a Firestick for the television will i then be able to control the televisions functions. Functions such as changing the channel and turning it on and off.

I am trying to get as much use out the equipment i have bought so if this worked with TV functions as well as controlling my Tivo box it would be a great asset.

Regards

What you're looking for is a harmony remote with hub. This hub will interact with alexa so you then can voice control your tv, stereo, settopbox, dvd player etc, plus use just one remote for them all and/or use your phone as said remote.

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 07:50:01 pm »
I think for what you want, the echo cube would have been perfect. I am not surprised no one gives a shit about echo cube though.. LOL.

I'm more surprised no one suggested for you to buy it. Usually best buy people suggest what you need to buy. For what you want on a non smart TV. Echo cube is all you needed that can do all that you want.

If only Amazon hires me I will make the echo cube the shit of all their devices. They don't know how to market their own overpriced products what a shame.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 07:56:20 pm by asianrocker »

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 04:01:39 am »
I think for what you want, the echo cube would have been perfect. I am not surprised no one gives a shit about echo cube though.. LOL.

I'm more surprised no one suggested for you to buy it. Usually best buy people suggest what you need to buy. For what you want on a non smart TV. Echo cube is all you needed that can do all that you want.

If only Amazon hires me I will make the echo cube the shit of all their devices. They don't know how to market their own overpriced products what a shame.

I don't know that much about the cube but from the description it does look like a good alternative over the harmony.   One thing though,  you must have good people working at your local best buy.  my experiences with best buy is the associates are idiots.   I like going in it and listen to them talk to customers and nothing but lies and ignorance from them.