Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Annoyance

timfg

Echo Annoyance
« on: October 13, 2018, 07:15:15 pm »
Anyone else recognise these? Any tips to avoid them?

I have seven echos around the house, and we often use them to talk to each other. (Three storeys, a lot easier than shouting)

1) 'Dropping in' on another echo doesn't always cut audio on the target device.
2) 'Dropping in' sometimes inspires the Echo I am calling from to connect BT to my phone, which means the conversation is interrupted with 'Now connected to Tim's iPhone'
3 Echos often claim they are already connected to my phone, when they're not, leading to a long and annoying spiel about 'If you wish to connect another device, go to your bluetooth settings and choose Echo AU4' or whatever. They won't play BT audio until I manually connect from my phone, an action which produces no 'Now connected to...' announcement.
4 Drop-ins sometimes just don't. Very unlikely that this is down to my network

These are all irritants. But they ARE irritating  ;)

mike27oct

Re: Echo Annoyance
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 08:43:23 pm »
Yep, too many BT signals can cause issues.  We always turn off BT  on phones and Alexa devices unless we intend to use them.  For starters. go around the house and tell every Alexa device to turn off bluetooth.  You may be surprosed how many are connected.  Lots of dots can cause lots of problems with this.  I have no issues and likely have more dots than most people have.

Offline jwlv

Re: Echo Annoyance
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 09:49:56 am »
Certain functions have higher priority over others, just as certain words have higher priority.
That said,  I believe that making a phone call has a higher priority than a drop-in. So if you named an upstairs Echo "Tim" and you also have a contact with a person named Tim, Alexa just might call Tim by phone rather than connect to the Echo named Tim. The solution? Name the Echo something else.