Echo & Alexa Forums

UK phone calling on the Alexa

Jon1606

Re: UK phone calling on the Alexa
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 03:37:14 am »
oh no...now do I buy this which I have been waiting for all year or wait for skype

MartinB999

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 03:52:01 am »
At long long last................ ! :)

Smokie

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 04:19:10 am »
So how does it work? What is needed? Does it make the call through your phone?
Info people Info ;D ;D ;D

MartinB999

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 05:19:22 am »
So how does it work? What is needed? Does it make the call through your phone?
Info people Info ;D ;D ;D
Hi Smokie
Well it works by connecting either to your phone line or to your Router (this is used if you have a VOiP Line - I don't). Plug it in to the BT socket (or similar) plug the other lead in to the computer via usb or the plug adapter supplied into the mains electricity. You let it start up and while that's sorting, you follow the instructions on the screen - it's relatively easy really.
What is needed - well, a landline (or VOiP line) and you need to have the Alexa app installed somewhere (either your mobby or on your computer etc).
Yes, it makes phone calls through your landline. Once set up it looks at all your contacts stored in your phone etc and so you can say, "....Alexa, call Dad", or Alexa, call Jenny" etc. If you don't have the numbers stored in your phone or in the Alexa app you can just say, "Alexa, call 01647236432" etc, and she will call it. Mine always asks me, "did you mean 01647236432?" to which I say yes and she dials it. That's not a real number, but you get the gist. REMEMBER THOUGH - THESE CALLS ARE NOT FREE (as they are with the google set up), they are charged to your landline account.
When your landline rings, if the number is in your contacts she announces the caller by name, if not, she just tells you the number that is calling.
Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 05:22:08 am by MartinB999 »

Smokie

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 07:19:43 pm »
Thanks for the detailed reply but I have a few questions regarding the below.

Plug it in to the BT socket (or similar) plug the other lead in to the computer via usb or the plug adapter supplied into the mains electricity. You let it start up and while that's sorting, you follow the instructions on the screen.

Plug alexa in? What lead? There's only power and Jack inputs on the back. What on screen instructions?

Thanks Again

MartinB999

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 04:32:18 am »
OK Smokie
On the back of the echo connect box there are two holes; one is the hole for the lead for power so you plug the supplied power lead in and then into either the wall electrical socket (using the plug supplied) or into a spare usb socket on the back of your computer (if this is where you are going to site the echo connect). The other hole in the back is for the phone line input/output. In the box was a lead to put in here, you just put this lead in the back of the box and then into the phone socket on the wall (your BT socket or similar), you can use the splitter supplied if you need to.
Once you have plugged both in and the lights come on, you need to open the Alexa app on your computer and follow the instuctions to set up a new device.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-2?ie=UTF8&nodeId=202209760&qid=1539419077&sr=1-2
Hope this explains.

Smokie

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2018, 05:34:37 am »
Thanks again but I see the problem. I don't have the echo connect. I only have the plus and dot.