Echo & Alexa Forums

Direct Nest to Echo Integration (IFTTT not required)

Offline jwlv

Direct Nest to Echo Integration (IFTTT not required)
« on: March 25, 2016, 02:29:01 pm »
If you've been waiting for direct Nest to Echo support, the wait is over. It is now here!

To set it up, open the Alexa app on your phone and press the menu button at the top.
Then press Smart Home (this is a new item in the menu list. I believe it used to say Connected Devices).
Scroll down a bit and choose Nest.
Then you'll need to login to Nest and to authorize the Echo to control your Nest device.
After successful login, go back to the Alexa app.
From the place where you left off, scroll down choose "Discover Devices"
The name of your Nest device will the be name that you set up when you installed your Nest. It's easy to change that name if you need to. Just login to your Nest account. Keep in mind that if you do change the name of your Nest device, you will need to tell Alexa to discover devices again.

So far, these are the commands I found to work:
(note: Home is the name of my Nest. If yours is named something else, you should use that name instead.)
- Alexa, set [HOME] to xx degrees. 
- Alexa, change [HOME] to xx degrees. 
- Alexa, raise [HOME] by xx degrees. 
- Alexa, raise [HOME] temperature. (increases by 2 degrees) 
- Alexa, increase [HOME] temperature. (increases by 2 degrees) 
- Alexa, lower [HOME] by xx degrees. 
- Alexa, lower [HOME] temperature. (decrease by 2 degrees) 
- Alexa, decrease [HOME] temperature. (decrease by 2 degrees) 

I don't know how to ask for the current indoor temperature.
And I don't know how to turn on just the fan without the A/C or Heat.

After playing with this for a bit, I started to get "That command doesn't work on device Home."  I believe that Nest has a limit of 10 commands per hour. I recall reading about this limitation from another Echo/Nest developer. If you issue too many commands within a short period of time, Nest will reject everything for a while.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 03:16:14 pm by jwlv »

mikedow

Re: Direct Nest to Echo Integration (IFTTT not required)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 01:19:23 pm »
After an enormous amount of trial and error, I figured out that the commands do not work when the Nest is set to AWAY.  It must be HOME before the commands work.

dasadab

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 12:18:09 am »
Just wondering if there is any way to turn the Nest off so that it doesn't run either heat or AC, but would be available to set a particular temperature if you wanted to do so? 
Thanks a lot.

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 04:25:33 am »
Just wondering if there is any way to turn the Nest off so that it doesn't run either heat or AC, but would be available to set a particular temperature if you wanted to do so? 
Thanks a lot.

the nest has three modes  1.  heating, 2. cooling, and 3.  heating - cooling.  If you set it to the third mode, it should do what you want. 

dasadab

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 10:36:37 am »
I just want to be able to turn the Nest off completely if I open a window or screen door.  It would be nice to not have to use the app.  I get the "leave it on all the time" functionality of auto cool/heat, but that presumes a closed home. 
Thanks you.