Echo & Alexa Forums

"How to" make echo work with TV and local stations, newbie

Fred 21

"How to" make echo work with TV and local stations, newbie
« on: September 22, 2018, 11:05:19 am »
I am a newbie to the echo experience.   I want to make my TV  and echo sync   so I can get Netflix, etc. Do I need a Fire Stick?   My TV is HDMI enhanced (Vizio) and it is connected to a digital antenna on our roof (we are rural).   I realize that echo and Amazon Prime doesn't do local stations but someone please give me specific information on how I can toggle between the two--local and  live streaming. We do have good internet connections.   Do I use  the two different remotes (for regular TV) and then the fire stick remote for accessing Amazon Prime?   Do I need the fire stick if I have the echo ?   Please be specific....I'm somewhat technology limited.  I would appeciate any help to get this all going.   Thank you, Fred

mike27oct

Re: "How to" make echo work with TV and local stations, newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 01:25:28 pm »
Echos have nothing to do with TV/video.  They are audio devices, and the only local things they can play are local radio stations through the built-in Tune In radio app.

For video you need a Fire TV stick, and if you have Amazon Prime and Netflix accounts you have a lot of TV available.  They are cheap. so just get one.  You can figure it out.

Fred 21

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 01:16:28 pm »
Thank you, I do realize it is an audio gadget.  I guess my question has to do with the TV and getting local stations vs the amazon prime with the fire stick (I also realize maybe this isn't the correct forum but hopefully someone can help).  How do I toggle between local stations (via roof antenna) and live streaming with fire stick?   Thank you again for any help

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 01:46:30 pm »
You need a separate input from antenna TV and FIre TV.  For example I have a separare cable TV input to my TV and separate inputs from FIre TV, Chromecasr Roku and media player.  I just use the TV remote to select the source I want to watch on TV just as one would between TV and DVD player.  I have more HDMI outputs from devices than my TV has HDMI, so therefore I have an HDMI switch box to accommodate them all. You need a unique input for every source device's output.

A Fire TV does not accept local TV of any kind (antenna or cable).

asianrocker

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 03:16:43 pm »
There's an echo for that. LOL. You obviously have not heard of echo cube. I don't think it's worth the price but hey. If you really need to voice command your TV...

You're welcome.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 07:51:45 pm »
Knowing that the Original post is asking for something the echo itself will not do, I have found (since reading this the other day) that I can do what the OP wants, with the Harmony hub, by voice. The Harmony hub product can be purchased with or without a separate remote. I have the stand alone hub. With that set-up with my Echo system, I can ask Alexa to turn on/off any item and also set up routines such as "watch TV" or Watch FIRETV... which is pretty much what we're talking about.

I believe the Fire TV would be something to explore but I haven't any experience with it to corroborate it as a good device to achieve the desired results. Could be...

I originally set my Hub up to control pretty much everything in my entertainment system, but found the kids (grand kids) cannot keep their mitts off the buttons and screw up the Echo and hub's Status memory, which is the biggest drawback of the Harmony hub and all Video that is not "smart" already somehow. I removed all of the Game consoles from it and no longer use them. I also ditched the Fire TV stick due to it's poor performance, and eft the Chromecast and the AppleTV hooked up and have far better response and performance of my systems *I* use.

The Hub assumes what you are asking it to do is possible and sends out IR signal to turn on/off equipment just like a normal remote control. If someone manually turns an item on or off using the buttons on the equipment (or even the supplied remote in most cases) the Hub thinks it's still in the status it last left it in... One day more of our average home equipment will offer Smart Status outputs and these things will be taken care of, but until then...

Anyway, that's just another way of using your echo to operate some Video equipment as well as the audio it is connected to. We don't use Alexa for Volume control or any other functionality that it is capable of... just the on/off and select which we choose to watch. I know there's a ton more functionality in it, but we're pretty easy with our choices.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:46:28 am by scottrods »
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

froglips

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 10:09:46 pm »
A Logitech Harmony Hub might be just what you are looking for.  Integrates with  Alexa and you can set 50 seperate TV channel favorites that will be voice selectible.  One remote can control 15 different devices including the Firestick.