Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo gets talky during Jeopardy?

DebbieR

Echo gets talky during Jeopardy?
« on: March 22, 2016, 09:21:11 pm »
We had a long power outage the other night, several hours. Both my Echos seemed to power back up just fine afterwards. But the last 2 nights I've noticed something really strange - my downstairs Echo started randomly making comments every 5-10 minutes, along the lines of "I did not understand" or "I don't have that information". I unplugged it, plugged back in... and it did it a couple more times. So I called Echo suport and spoke to somebody there about it. Then it hit me - this was only happening when the TV show Jeopardy was playing. Now I wonder if Alexa was hearing Alex and responding, or just responding to questions in general? Tonight I paid more attention - no words, but the occasion Bong sound like she thought she'd heard something and was waiting for instructions. I recently started using the remote that came with it, and wonder if that could be picking up questions without actually being activated.

Just curious to know if anybody else has had Alexa randomly speaking, and if the Jeopardy show and all it's questions may be a trigger. I got this Echo back when they first came out, and I often watch Jeopardy, and never had this happen before...

Thanks,
Debbie

DParker

Re: Echo gets talky during Jeopardy?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 11:00:18 pm »
Being triggered by Trebek's first name sounds like a good explanation.  Why it's never happened before, I couldn't say.  But my downstairs Echo has once in a while been set off by TV dialog that I never heard anything remotely like "Alexa" in.

Now I'm just waiting for a pair of cashmere socks from Amazon to show up without me ordering them....damn Alec Baldwin.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 12:32:17 am »
I vote for Alec's name as well, although forgotten to turn off Bluetooth connections can cause this kind of problem, too.  You can search this forum for keyword Bluetooth and read some; especially the one about Alexa talking in her sleep.

DebbieR

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 01:33:34 pm »
Interesting discussion about Alexa talking in her sleep. I figure ghosts is a good reason! I don't think I had any Bluetooth things paired, except for her remote.

Just for giggles I checked the app to she what she thought she heard:
"No is this man in the world"
"Who is scandals of this two thousand seven to two thousand twelve president?"
"What is the walking stick that is right?"

I susect there's some relationship between the bluetooth paired remote and the show Jeopardy. I'll pay better attantion tonight and see if it happens again. Maybe their buzzer sound is a trigger? I find it amusing. Maybe she just wants to play too...

DParker

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 01:50:54 pm »
"No is this man in the world"
"Who is scandals of this two thousand seven to two thousand twelve president?"
"What is the walking stick that is right?"

That reads like half of the spam e-mail I get every day.  Was there anything in there about a Nigerian general's widow wanting to split her late husband's fortune with you?

I susect there's some relationship between the bluetooth paired remote and the show Jeopardy.

Interesting thought, though I don't see how that's possible.

DebbieR

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 09:25:19 am »
Well, she hasn't done it since then and I watch Jeopardy most evenings. Maybe she was just channeling some entity who was trying to communicate, and not doing a very good job of it... like an electronic Ouija board...