Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot connected to Fire TV Stick to play audio

elemental21

Echo Dot connected to Fire TV Stick to play audio
« on: August 29, 2018, 10:29:26 am »
I have a receiver in my family room which will be powering speakers around my house.  I have an Echo Dot and and old Fire TV Stick that I've retired from regular TV use because it's first gen and slow.  However I thought it would be perfect to plug that Fire TV stick into one of the HDMI ports on my receiver and tell my Echo to "Play music to FireTV Stick". Sadly it seems that Amazon does not allow you to do this.  When you ask it to it says it's not a device that can play music or something similar to that.  I'm a little confused as to why since you can ask Alexa to play music through the Fire TV Stick remote.

Another option I considered was if the Echo Dot allowed you to switch the 3.5mm output but found out through this forum that isn't an option either.

I know I could buy another Echo Dot and hook it directly to my receiver and disable it's microphone, but that seems silly to have two Echo's in the same room. Obviously i can get a Bluetooth adapter and hook it to the receiver.

So I suppose my question is why can't I do that with my Fire TV Stick?  Possibly I'm doing something wrong, but I don't see it in the command list on Amazon's website (linked below). Am I missing something? Can anyone think of any better options besides a Bluetooth adapter or a second Echo Dot?  Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202174250

asianrocker

Re: Echo Dot connected to Fire TV Stick to play audio
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 06:18:33 pm »
If the remote is working then just use it. Your setup doesn't make sense anyway.

Firetv stick was made for video not audio.

elemental21

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 06:28:25 pm »
No thanks on the remote. Ultimately I want to use Alexa commands or the app to control it. Not sure what your basis is for "doesn't make sense", what's most important for a TV device, video or audio? The answer is both.

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 09:37:25 pm »
You said you connected it to receiver as I presume to use for music.

If you don't get why I said it doesn't make sense then that's why you have that problem.

elemental21

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 11:43:21 pm »
I see the confusion now, I didn't mention this is an A/V receiver with 5 HDMI inputs and outputs to speakers all over my house.