Echo & Alexa Forums

Drop In between US and UK

chresegrits

Drop In between US and UK
« on: August 29, 2018, 06:09:30 pm »
Hi,

Can anyone confirm the the Drop In feature will work between the US and UK?

My sister and I live in the US, our elderly mother lives in Scotland. She has an Amazon UK account and wifi. Although she doesn't have a cell phone, my sister is visiting her next month, and can get a cheap Android phone with a SIM card just for setting up Alexa, and source an Echo Show in the UK for her.

I'm just looking for anyone who  has used Drop In between the US and UK, so we know it's possible and worth the effort and expense.

Thanks in advance,

Hugh

MartinB999

Re: Drop In between US and UK
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 04:20:22 am »
Hi
I don't know about the DROP IN feature working from over the Pond but my best mate lives just outside San Francisco and we regularly talk on the Echo.
He has the Alexa set up and here in the UK I have a few different Echo devices. I just say "Echo call Mark" and it calls him in the US - never had an issue with it.
I thought the drop in feature was for devices on the same set up (ie same account in one place) so I wouldn't have thought that feature would work for you calling a device in the UK.

chresegrits

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 12:27:35 am »
I'm pretty sure Drop In can be used with any of your contacts, as long as they grant you permission.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202158530

OK, well I guess I'll assume it'll work, if normal video calling works between the US and UK.

Hugh

chresegrits

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 06:58:23 pm »
I'm happy to report that it worked. My sister visited with mum in Scotland, got a UK SIM and put it in an old iPhone, entered the few contacts we needed, then set up Alexa and the Echo Spot, logging in to mum's Amazon UK account.

I entered that number as a number for mum in my phone contacts. After restarting my Alexa app, it recognized her as an Alexa user, and we were able to enable "drop in" with each other.

Call quality is great, and it's loud enough for mum to hear me even without her hearing aid. We sat the Spot right next to her chair, on her coffee table. She loves it, and has already "dropped in" on me several times today.

This is a great feature, for elderly relatives at a distance. I just say "Alexa drop in on Mum" and there she is. :)

Hugh