Echo & Alexa Forums

Connecting to External Speakers

left-corner

Connecting to External Speakers
« on: August 26, 2018, 12:21:20 pm »
I've found that I need to use the PHONO (input) jack of my stereo receiver to properly hear sound from my Echo device.  If I use the CD or LINE (input) jacks, I do not have sufficient gain to drive the speakers (or I must turn the volume up to what would be a ear shattering level for (say) a CD player).  The problem is that I have only one PHONO jack.  So if I connect Echo, I can't connect my turntable. 

Any thoughts on this topic?  Am I doing something wrong?  Thank you in advance. 

Re: Connecting to External Speakers
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 02:33:26 pm »
there is not much you can do if you already tried the different input ports with the different devices.  what is the model number of the receiver?

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 03:34:29 pm »
The output of any alexa device is referred to as being high level -- the same as tape out. line out, a CD player or just an Aux level input to a stereo amp.  NEVER use a phono input from anything other than a magnetic phono cartridge since it is extremely low level voltage and the phono circuit is not a flat frequency level -- it boosts the lows and cuts the highs.

I have a Dot's output going into a high level AUX input of my stereo amp and it works perfectly as it should.  Have no idea why you are not also having success.  You are for sure doing something incorrectly.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 10:00:07 pm »
Check the 3.5mm audio plug to your device. Some of them need a good firm push to be properly connected. The metal contacts should go all the way in and none of the metal parts should be visible if it's properly connected.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 10:14:00 pm by jwlv »

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 01:57:43 pm »
Good point!

ghost123uk

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 06:52:26 am »
Just popped in to agree with the Mike27Oct = you should NEVER connect anything but a magnetic cartridge turntable to the "Phono" input of a Hi-Fi amp. Doing so can easily lead to damaging either the Phono circuit, or your speakers when the Echo suddenly (for whatever reason) starts to work as it should.

I take it you have tried increasing the volume setting on the Echo whilst it was connected to the "Aux" or "CD" inputs of your amp?

There is something not right as those ^^^ inputs should work just fine.
Maybe a faulty lead?
Try connecting a pair of ordinary wired headphones to the output socket of the Echo, you may have to ask the Echo to turn up the volume. This does work, I just tested it. If you can hear the sound OK through the headphones then it for sure should work on the Aux & CD inputs on the amp.

Let us know how you get on.

John