Echo & Alexa Forums

Lenovo Smart Display vs Google Home/Mini?

ks111989

Lenovo Smart Display vs Google Home/Mini?
« on: August 23, 2018, 10:49:20 pm »
I'm thinking of getting a smart device for my family's lounge/study on the second floor. I currently have a Lenovo Smart Display in my kitchen and the additional screen has been great for recipe help, making reservations and controlling my home security feeds/lights. The screen is definitely an advantage but i'm not sure if I should get another LSD or just a Google Home/Google Home Mini for the second floor. Any advice?

malliekm

Re: Lenovo Smart Display vs Google Home/Mini?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 10:55:04 pm »
If you're considering a 2nd display, wait.  Google will be coming out with their own smart display (vs a 3rd party like Lenovo or JBL) for the Christmas season.  I'm pretty sure I'm not interested in one but if I was, I'd definitely wait for Google's own display.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 05:52:14 am »
think how you plan to use the upstairs one.  do you need the screen or not.  It really is your call.    If you decide on a screen, as previously mention, google is coming out with one.   you might want to wait.   You could go ahead and get the mini and if you decided you want a screen later, it is no loss, you can always place the mini in another location. 

https://gizmodo.com/google-may-finally-make-its-own-smart-speaker-with-a-sc-1828414631

ks111989

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 03:28:11 am »
If you're considering a 2nd display, wait.  Google will be coming out with their own smart display (vs a 3rd party like Lenovo or JBL) for the Christmas season.  I'm pretty sure I'm not interested in one but if I was, I'd definitely wait for Google's own display.

I wonder how different it'll be from the LSD. I've been quite impressed with the LSD so far especially since I get both audio and visual features. That said, I'll be looking forward to Google's to see if it matches up!

Jerome

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 07:47:32 am »
Google Home Hub
Please note there is no camera (when the Echo Show does have one) but the Hub is cheaper ($150)
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/google-home-hub-specs-roundup/

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 05:03:33 pm »
Google Home Hub
Please note there is no camera (when the Echo Show does have one) but the Hub is cheaper ($150)
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/google-home-hub-specs-roundup/

not sure if this was a good or bad decision.  maybe a camera will be in the next generation.

malliekm

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 10:24:21 pm »
I bought the GHH a week ago.  I didn't think I'd be interested in it but I like it!  The fact that it doesn't have a camera is a bonus (for me).  I didn't care about a camera (my satellite internet has too much latency) and the price reflects the no camera option.  I got mine from Lowes last Thurs for $99.  They price matched Home Depot's flash sale of $99 last week.  It's small but perfect size for a bedside clock/AI.  And it plays full screen You Tube videos :)