Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Amazon Echo mic radius.

chit.chat

Amazon Echo mic radius.
« on: August 23, 2018, 03:43:19 pm »
How do I set the mic radius of my Echo?

I have the Lenovo Smart Display and it's connected to my Google Home mini, and an Echo as well. Problem is, I want to set the mic radius for my echo so it won't capture the command I want to put out. Especially since they are scattered apart, my echo near the bathroom, my Smart Display in the living room as a main console since it has a screen and just has more features, and my mini in my room. When I trigger a command, sometimes Alexa just think it's for her without saying a command for her.

Any solutions?

Re: Amazon Echo mic radius.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 06:56:27 pm »
I don't know that you can adjust the reachable radius of the echos at all, but I do know the show and the new Fire TV Cube unit have more directional mics...

What you're asking for shouldn't even be a thing, as the Echo requires an echo wake word... your smart panel shouldn't have the same wake word unless it's an Amazon Alexa enabled one... (which I understand is a possibility as well). The way to avoid it is to give the two items a different wake word if they are truly too close together... Name one Alexa, the other Computer, Amazon, or Echo, and never look back.

I have several echo dots close enough to trigger each from a single location (as many as 4 at one time) and they seem to work out the details pretty well. However I don't have many groups set up for me to just ask to turn on the lights as aI walks into a room... but I think I could as they really do work well together.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Offline kenf

Re: Amazon Echo mic radius.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 12:00:10 pm »
yeah, it's not like a video game.  The mic hears what the mic hears.  Alexa ESP decides which Mic has the best sound and chooses that Echo as the one that heard you.

I've got Echo-Something in every room of the house, and here in my office, the ring will light up as it decides when I faintly hear my wife starting a command in the living room, which is around several corners and 30+ feet away

The two issues I have with the wrong one picking up is the living room and kitchen.  I've stood at the stove, looking at the Show next to me while I'm trying to set a timer and the living room picks it up.  Makes no sense.

The other issue is followup mode.  starting a command and stopping, or trying to give a second "normal" command.  Because the first one is busy sending the first command, the other unit hears the second and takes priority.  Not exactly described, but there's some wonkiness you can get into by messing up a command or trying to talk over her.