Echo & Alexa Forums

Music streaming cutting out

Biffp

Music streaming cutting out
« on: August 18, 2018, 12:48:27 pm »
Hi
 Can anyone help me with this problem. I purchased an echo dot in March 2018 it worked fine until 3 weeks ago. When I listen to music via amazon Prime on my Bluetooth speakers the music cuts out for 2 to 3 seconds multiply times through the track.. Now when I listen to heart radio through the Bluetooth speakers there is no cutting out, played the radio for 8 hours, plays perfect. Ask Alexa to play music from amazon prime music then within 10;seconds starts to cut out for a few seconds multiple times while playing a track. Appreciate advice please

mike27oct

Re: Music streaming cutting out
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 11:40:01 pm »
Reboot Dot by unplugging for 5 minutes.  While it is off re-seat any cables to or from it. 

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 02:46:09 am »
one thing to consider, if every other service is working and amazon is not, then there could be a bandwidth problem with them. 

Biffp

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 05:24:00 am »
Hi thanks, but so far I have turned the modem off and unplugged the echo for 5 mins.
Deleted and reinstalled my Bluetooth speakers via the app. Tick the external speaks box on the Samsung TV & ticked PCM as well. Moved the echo nearer to speakers then back again made no difference. Powered down all iPads, mobiles, watch the modem to see if the lights change while the cutting out happens. Made sure no electrical appliances were on. The puzzling bit is why does this not cut out when streaming live radio? Also checked the latest software is up to date. Now reinstalled app. Still causing problems when I ask Alexa to play specific tracks such as music by wings.

Biffp

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 04:21:34 am »
Update Oct 2018. Have now changed Modem but music still cutting out. A week later I replaced the Master ADSL filter in my communications panel and that seems to have done the trick!!! no more music streaming on Amazon cutting out. Although my internet connection was fine over time the modem would start rebooting hence why I changed the modem first. Next time the filter first. Never thought when my internet was working ok at first that this filter would cause such a big problem.

Biffp

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 07:21:11 pm »
Latest update 22 Oct 2018. Having change the Master ADSL filter I thought this had cured my problem, but sadly when playing the music by wings this evening it started to cut out a few times
Through amazon music. Now I spoke to my neighbour who also has problems with his live box.
Now livebox from Orange comes with a default channel No1. I have accessed the livebox modem
And changed it to channel 5. Now playing wimgs music but this cut out once so far! My next attempt would be to change from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz. If this should not work I can only guess there must be some intermittent high resistance on my telephone line bearing in mind I do live in a rural setting.
Of course one thing I know that will cure it is a great big hammer!! I will see how changing the channel goes and will update in a weeks time. Only cut out once in 4 tracks better than this afternoon. But one thing I have noticed since changing the ADSL filter is my modem has not lost its connection! Whereas before I was rebooting 6 or 7 times a day, so the filter change cured that problem.

Biffp

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 09:05:41 am »
Further update 22nd Oct 2018.I have read the manual of my Samasung Sound-bar M360 WiFi speakers and have a something of interest. It states. That the WiFi Frequency of these sound bar speakers is 5.8Ghz and any other device near by which is on the same frequency will cause sound interruptions. I have accessed my router and have now disabled the 5GHz WiF signal.. So Far no cutting of music!! Plus it is very windy here & the telephone cables are blowing from side to side with no effects in distortion.

Biffp

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 10:41:49 am »
Update 23rd Oct 2018. Having disabled the 5 GHz WiFi on my router it has made no difference. I am now at a loss on how to resolve this issue. Now listening to BBC Radio one with no problems with regards to cutting out. Ask Alexa to play tracks from Amazon music then the cutting out begins. Have checked WiFi signal at Alexa dot it shows 99% WIFI signal. Speakers are 8 feet way, from Alexa dot, and is 6 feet away from router!.I hope someone from Amazon reads this blog and pulls their finger out to resolve this issue thier are thousands of people experiencing this problem. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Biffp

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 06:09:12 am »
I think I may accidentally solved this problem! I will give it a few days of music streaming and will post the outcome. Even the music sounds better since the change to my modem. It is important that you to find the frequency of your WiFi speakers.

Biffp

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 07:17:11 am »
PROBLEM SOLVED! No more music cutting. I made a mistake in my Previous post about the 5GHz WiFi.
Check your blue tooth speakers frequency and download an app called WiFi Analyzer Classic. Found my neighbour had the same router and default channel as me. I accessed the router which is dual-band and found that the 5 GHz WiFi was never enabled. In fact all of these routers supplied by Orange Are only enabled for 2.4GHz although they are dual band. On the 2.4 GHz I changed the channel from auto to channel 6. I then enabled 5 GHz WiFi Frequency and changed that from auto to channel 48. Saved changes, exit router. Switch router and echo dot off for 5 mins. Start router first then echo dot. Perfect streaming of music, I have had no disconnections. I assumed my blue tooth speakers were on The 2.4GHz but not true. I assumed my 5 GHz WiFi band was activated, not true, check your router and neighbours channels as well. Bear in mind if using 5GHz WiFi it will only travel about the 1/3 of the distance compared to 2.4GHz. Even the music sounds better on 5GHz WiFi Band which has a faster data speed and bandwidth.
Hopes this helps.

Biffp

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 07:34:31 am »
PROBLEM SOLVED! It has now been 1 week since I changed the settings on my router and I have not had one incident of music streaming cutting out on Amazon music. Changed my adsl filter as it was 5 years old.
Found out my new dual band router was only enabled for WiFi on the 2.4GHz WiFi Frequency, I have enabled the 5GHz frequency which my Alexa Echo dot now utilities. The music is slightly better and my dot is also responding quicker. Make sure your neighbour is not using the same channels as you on the router. Just remember that the 5GHz frequency does not travel as far as the 2.4GHz especially through brick walls.

mindmagic

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 01:42:34 pm »
This is very helpful, thanks. I think I may have had a similar problem.

Biffp

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 03:17:37 am »
Update:24th Nov 2018. Since changing my settings on my modem and channels, my Alexa has been streaming music perfectly. I have had not one incident of streaming cutting out or stuttering. Music sounds a little bit better.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 02:23:27 pm by Biffp »

Biffp

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 01:36:51 pm »
It’s now January 2019 and todate I have had no problems with streaming music via Amazon.
Changes made to the modem have cured this problem.