Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Alexa cannot differentiate my pronunciation of certain letters

My Alexa cannot differentiate my pronunciation of the letter P from the letter B.  This is relevant when requesting to tune to radio stations by call letters.  I have gone through the Alexa voice training exercise, but does not help.  Is there a way to downshift Alexa into the phonetic alphabet in order to make clear?  Or other method to train by letter?     

Re: Alexa cannot differentiate my pronunciation of certain letters
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 04:02:20 pm »
My Alexa cannot differentiate my pronunciation of the letter P from the letter B.  This is relevant when requesting to tune to radio stations by call letters.  I have gone through the Alexa voice training exercise, but does not help.  Is there a way to downshift Alexa into the phonetic alphabet in order to make clear?  Or other method to train by letter?     
Maybe try setting up a routine for that station as you type in the call letters not say them.
 I listen to WAEB and never had a problem with Alexa understand the letter B, and I am orig from Brooklyn, ha...

Joe

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 08:55:19 pm »
I can see how p and b can confuse alexa.  really not much you can do except to try different keywords to access the station. 

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 11:33:11 am »
Not to hijack, but I have the same type problem getting Alexa to pronounce Sue, my wife's name.  It comes out "so".  If I ask Alexa to pronounce  S-U-E, spelled out, Alexa gets it right, but cannot transition that to pronouncing Sue correctly.  I've given up (She gets Susie correctly)

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 05:19:26 pm »
Not to hijack, but I have the same type problem getting Alexa to pronounce Sue, my wife's name.  It comes out "so".  If I ask Alexa to pronounce  S-U-E, spelled out, Alexa gets it right, but cannot transition that to pronouncing Sue correctly.  I've given up (She gets Susie correctly)

I would send feedback on this   I had the same problem with alexa pronouncing the town I live in wrong.  I sent feedback with the phonic pronunciation and it got a whole lot better.