Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo constantly connecting/disconnecting from Macbook Pro

Chazprime

Echo constantly connecting/disconnecting from Macbook Pro
« on: March 20, 2016, 11:43:19 am »
I'm having an issue with my Echo that I can't seem to lick. I've paired it with a new 15" Retina Macbook Pro (OS X 10.11.3), and when I shut the lid, the Echo keeps pairing/unpairing itself over and over. Not a big issue except that Alexa announces loudly each time "Now connecting to....". After a few nights of being woken up at 3am with this a few times, I'm determined to solve it.

It seems to work better when I turned off  the Bluetooth option to allow Bluetooth devices to wake the machine, but even unplugging my iPhone from a closed laptop will trigger another connection attempt from Alexa. Has anyone run into this? I'd even settle for a way to squelch the announcements.

Re: Echo constantly connecting/disconnecting from Macbook Pro
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 04:45:58 pm »
how far apart are they at night?  could be something interfering with the signal. 

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 11:43:07 pm »
Quick question for the OP, Chazprime: 
Did you even search this forum for the keyword, Bluetooth?  If you had, you would have found a dozen or so posts talking about it.  In there, you would have found a discussion of what someone here tagged "dangling Bluetooth", meaning those BT devices we leave on that remind us that we left them on!

Here is the post's link, but also search forum for the keyword to find any other related issues -- of which there are some.

http://www.echotalk.org/index.php/topic,339.msg1849.html#msg1849

Chazprime

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 10:45:02 am »
how far apart are they at night?  could be something interfering with the signal.

Generally it will connect and stay connected for about 60-90 seconds, disconnect and then try again a few minutes later.

Quick question for the OP, Chazprime: 
Did you even search this forum for the keyword, Bluetooth?  If you had, you would have found a dozen or so posts talking about it.  In there, you would have found a discussion of what someone here tagged "dangling Bluetooth", meaning those BT devices we leave on that remind us that we left them on!

Here is the post's link, but also search forum for the keyword to find any other related issues -- of which there are some.

http://www.echotalk.org/index.php/topic,339.msg1849.html#msg1849

I did see that thread, as well as this one:

http://www.echotalk.org/index.php/topic,326.0.html

The reason I posted this is because my situation is a little different. I occasionally stream music from iTunes while I'm working and it works great, but when I disconnect the Echo, it won't stay disconnected. It is still trying to connect on its own with no rhyme or reason. I have two other bluetooth devices that I use with this machine: a mouse and a Wacom tablet. When I disconnect either of those devices, they stay disconnected until I reconnect them or start using one of them...not so with the Echo.

DParker

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 11:16:53 am »
The reason I posted this is because my situation is a little different. I occasionally stream music from iTunes while I'm working and it works great, but when I disconnect the Echo, it won't stay disconnected. It is still trying to connect on its own with no rhyme or reason. I have two other bluetooth devices that I use with this machine: a mouse and a Wacom tablet. When I disconnect either of those devices, they stay disconnected until I reconnect them or start using one of them...not so with the Echo.

When you say "disconnect the Echo", what exactly are you doing?

Chazprime

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 01:25:13 pm »
When you say "disconnect the Echo", what exactly are you doing?

I disconnect either with the command "Alexa, disconnect" or from the BT menu like this:

Either way, I get the notification from Alexa that she's disconnected from my computer, and usually she'll almost immediately connect again.

If I close the laptop without disconnecting, she'll disconnect as I'd expect but then go into a cycle of connect/disconnect at random intervals.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 12:55:19 am »
Hmmm, I would suppose your BT adapter on the computer is not disconnecting (By this term. I mean it is not turning totally off.)  When I turn off my BT on a PC it is definitely OFF but can easily be turned back on.

I am glad to know you did see the two previous threads on this sort of issue.  Look again, and read where I described how to have Echo clear ALL BT devices able to connect to it.  It is in the Alexa app Settings menu, see Your (named) Echo Online, tap that and tap Your (named) Echo, and not far down the list is Bluetooth, tap it and select to "Clear all paired devices".  Your computer will not pair with the Echo again unless you re-pair the two again.  This should really stop all this nonsense you are having. Of course, any device you had paired with Echo will also be un-paired, too.  A little more affect than is intended, so I suggest you do this at least once for this instance, but also figure out how to have your computer completely turn off BT to prevent it going back to its old trick. 

I have found that getting my computer under control is most effective to prevent the issue you are having of unintentional connecting of BT between PC and Echo from happening.