Echo & Alexa Forums

My Alexa devices are spooking the dog

abinition

My Alexa devices are spooking the dog
« on: August 06, 2018, 08:36:19 pm »
Idiot people who don't understand how to interact with Alexa end up SCREAMING at her.    ALEXA!! STOP!! ALEXA!  NO!! ALEXA!  NEXT SONG!!!   

My dog hears all this shouting, and then hears that voice of Alexa, calm and un-perturbed. a ghost in the room.

He gets freaked out, puts is tail between his legs, and hides far away.

Changing the name to "Computer" or "Echo" helps until that calm female voice is heard, then its bye-bye.

This is a REAL problem...    What can I do?

mike27oct

Re: My Alexa devices are spooking the dog
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 09:53:47 pm »
1. Tell idiot people to walk up to alexa and speak in a normal voice. (and/or push in the mic mute and tells offenders you have shut of alexa because they upset your dog.

2. Get rid of Alexa

3. Get rid of dog

4. Learn how to solve these problems yourself.

Your post was a comic relieve for the forum.

abinition

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 05:26:37 pm »
Ansel is smarter than Alexa, so he stays...

The idiot people are gone, but its too late, dogs have situational memory.

It may be comic relief for some of you, but frankly its preventing me from using Alexa...   

I was thinking if there was a talking Alexa head on a monitor or TV screen.   This might help.    Is one available?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 06:46:26 pm by abinition »

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 05:22:52 am »
it is not the echo device that is spooking the dog.  It is the person who is yelling at an empty room making the dog think it is being yelled at. 

AlAlper

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 12:15:37 pm »
You can tell Alexa to use abbreviated replies. It just uses a tonal response for common requests.

AlAlper

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 12:28:26 pm »
I looked it up it is called brief mode.

abinition

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 07:18:57 pm »
Hmm.  I will look up this "brief" mode, if the tone is different, it might work.   No one is shouting at Alexa anymore, but the damage is already done.  Dogs are sensitive, its hard to undo a situational memory they have integrated.   However,  I think there is a way I can associate the voice with a material object, perhaps a giant teddy bear.    I will share if I find a way.

M A N Y  T H A N K S ! ! !   

: - ))

malliekm

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 09:48:25 pm »
Hmm.  I will look up this "brief" mode, if the tone is different, it might work.   No one is shouting at Alexa anymore, but the damage is already done.  Dogs are sensitive, its hard to undo a situational memory they have integrated.   However,  I think there is a way I can associate the voice with a material object, perhaps a giant teddy bear.    I will share if I find a way.

M A N Y  T H A N K S ! ! !   

: - ))

Your dog will get over it.  He'll be fine.  Abused and abandoned shelter dogs that are adopted into a loving, caring family learn to get over their fears of being beaten, starved, shot and dumped.  It happens every day.  That happy smiling face you see below is a prime example.  You can't imagine the condition he was in when he showed up at our house late one night.  And what was broken on the outside paled in comparison to what was broken  on the inside.  He's now the the most laid back, unfazed, content and faithful dog ever.  Maybe your dog had issues that Alexa just made worse.
ps...sorry guys.  This thread just really got to me.  I think dogs are much more resilient than the owner gives him credit for.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 09:50:49 pm by malliekm »