Echo & Alexa Forums

mobile skin

mobile skin
« on: March 18, 2016, 07:53:50 pm »
any chance of getting a simple machine mobile skin? or is there already one and I'm blind.  I refuse to use tapatalk because of their privacy and security issues. 

thanks

Re: mobile skin
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 04:19:45 am »
not the same.  This forum is run by Simple Machines forum software.  The forums admin can add skins (templates) to it so users can pick and chose how they want the forum to look.  There are skins available so the forum can be a bit more compatible with mobile devices. 

Tapatalk is a third party service where you can view this forum on mobile devices but I refuse to use them because of security and privacy issues.

ScottinPollock

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 03:56:16 pm »
Tapatalk is a third party service where you can view this forum on mobile devices but I refuse to use them because of security and privacy issues.

What issues? And how do they involve exposing anything other than posts made to public forums?

DParker

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 04:25:17 pm »
What issues? And how do they involve exposing anything other than posts made to public forums?

I don't know what the current status of the app is, but Tapatalk has created a number of security and privacy trust issues in the past by enabling website data access features in the software without notifying users, failing to notify webmasters of security vulnerabilities found in the software, etc.

ScottinPollock

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 04:36:46 pm »
I have run a tapatalk supported forum for quite a number of years and think they have been pretty forthcoming.

Specifically, what data exposure are we talking about?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:54:30 pm by ScottinPollock »

DParker

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 05:49:53 pm »
I have run a tapatalk supported forum for quite a number of years and think they have been pretty forthcoming.

Specifically, what data exposure are we talking about?

I don't have any direct experience with it myself.  All I know is what I've read in numerous forums in the past, like this one: https://theadminzone.com/threads/tapatalk-fact-or-fiction.116478/

Googling "tapatalk security privacy" produces a lot more hits.  Like I said, this is from a couple of years ago, and I don't know what the current state of things is.

ScottinPollock

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 06:01:29 pm »
Well, if you you avoid using your TT to sign in for you, and do not use third party credentials (google, facebook, etc.), I can't think of anything that is at risk.

ScottinPollock

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 06:03:22 pm »
Well, for the benefit of the OP... if you you avoid using your TT account to sign in for you, and do not use third party credentials (google, facebook, etc.), I can't think of anything that is at risk.