Echo & Alexa Forums

“Name given to TP-LINK smart plug” not responding right now

Tootercat

On any given evening one or more of my smart plugs connected to their individual echos won’t work. Usually Alexa says “blank” is not responding right now. Check your network and power connections. Both fine - still not responding. Is it common for some to arbitrarily not work and what can I do?

Re: “Name given to TP-LINK smart plug” not responding right now
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 04:15:00 am »
are you able to turn them on/off with the echo app? 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 06:47:46 am »
Some routers would drop a wifi device when it hasn't had any activity in several hours.  Since smart switches don't usually get used much,  it's a prime candidate for a router to drop it.

AlanH

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 09:45:30 am »

On any given evening one or more of my smart plugs connected to their individual echos won’t work. Usually Alexa says “blank” is not responding right now. Check your network and power connections. Both fine - still not responding. Is it common for some to arbitrarily not work and what can I do?
I rarely have any problems with my TP-LINK smart plugs, but if I do, a reboot usually fixes the issue. Are you running the latest firmware - check for updates in the Kasa app Settings.

Tootercat

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 06:48:22 pm »
Thanks for the responses! I could turn the light on and off with the Kasa App so I knew they were still linked. This morning the one that didn’t work yesterday works again and I did nothing! Very frustrating when it happens. I don’t want to have to go through setup every time....

C’est la vie

Pam

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 07:49:30 pm »
Often. many of these plugs are at far-flung areas of the house and also low to the floor.  Both conditions can cause weak(er) wifi signal to plug.  I have one such situation where working the on/off switch of plug to get it going again.. Or I remove it from wall and plug it in where wifi is better and work the switch.  If it gets back in step I plug it back where it came from.Most of the time just using the on/off switch on plug gooses it enough to get past this hurdle, but last week the only thing that got it working was to reboot the nearby wifi range extender, and all was well again as the wifi signal improved  (if you don't use a range extend but only a router, rebooting the router could help.