Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa picking wrong radio stattion

jspoling

Alexa picking wrong radio stattion
« on: August 01, 2018, 08:25:38 am »
I request 105.7 the Fan Baltimore, Alexa repeats the exact station name. But then it returns 105.7 the Bull - a country radio station.

I enabled 105.7 the fan in the Alexa skills section and it still doesn't pick the correct station.

mike27oct

Re: Alexa picking wrong radio stattion
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 04:56:33 pm »
There are various ways to ask for a station   I never ask for a station's frequency because it is not unique.  For example, I ask for the call letters KCSM -OR- its nickname, Jazz 91.  Asked either way, Alexa plays the station.

So, you need to find another way to ask for this station.  Try asking for The Fan Baltimore or its unique call letters followed by either AM or FM.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 02:39:44 pm »
mike is correct. You should never ask for a radio station by its frequency (e.g. 105.7). What Alexa thinks is on 105.7 might not be the station you want for your area or for the city you indicated.

As Mike stated, it's best to use the station's call letters (usually K-something or W-something). Also keep in mind that some radio stations use nicknames that might not be their true call letters. For example, K-LITE FM in Los Angeles. Their true call letters are KSBL FM. Alexa might know the station if you ask for K-LITE but don't assume that it will play the correct station. If you do get the correct station, you got lucky. Another example. If you ask for KISS FM, there are probably more than a dozen stations nicknamed "kiss". There's KIIS (Los Angeles, CA),  KTRS (Casper, WY), WIKS (New Bern, NC), KISN (Belgrade, MT), KZII (Lubbock, TX), and many more. They all call themselves "KISS FM" but their call letters are completely different.

If you are unsure of a station's call letters, you can either call them and ask or look it up on their website. The FCC requires every radio station to have a public inspection file with the station's information.

DiandalScotland

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 06:37:16 pm »
Here in Scotland, Alexa has problems with my accent and plenty of radio channels. If she can't understand me,

Whenever I ask Alexa to play a radio station, She will do via TuneIn (well whenever she understands me).

I know Radioplayer and others are available but I like listening to other stations like Hits 45, Dreamcoats etc etc
Anyway enough rambling, As Alexa at times cannot understand or can't find, I wanted to via the Alexa app, browse and then add station to favourites.
I for the life of me couldn't find how to, till I did, So for others who Alexa doesn't understand, here is what to do.
1. Ask Alexa to play a station, Say Radio2
2. On your Alexa App under Home you will see what you just asked Alexa. Click on link Browse Tunein
3. Search for your station,
ie All oldies Hit 45s and click on it.
4. Click on the music bars at bottom
5. Click on Queue at top
6. Click on arrow down at side of station
7. Click on Favourites. Will change to blue
8. Now it's in Favourites, so next time if Alexa doesn't understand you Just open your Alexa App and go to TuneIn Favourites.