Echo & Alexa Forums

Using Tablet with Echo together

HermitStyle

Using Tablet with Echo together
« on: July 29, 2018, 02:39:00 pm »
I'm looking for information and/or advice on how to use the new Fire HD 8 tablet together in conjunction with an Echo. I've heard of VoiceCast but can't find much information about it. I'm going to explain my setup and then how I want to use the device:

So, I've just purchased a Fire HD 8 tablet to use in show mode. I've got it set up on the show mode dock. My goal is to use it as an Echo Show. But my problem is that the microphone doesn't pick up my voice good enough. And the speakers are terrible. 

So I'm thinking I could buy an Echo and use it's speakers and mic. Will the 2 devices work together? 

I want to get all the visual output on my Tablet but have the Echo as my primary Alexa speakers and Mic. Is this possible? Is it going to be a dumbed down experience compared to a proper Echo Show? Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. I can't find ANYTHING on the subject. 

Other thoughts: I could just get a Bluetooth speaker for the Tablet and YELL to make up for the crappy Mic. I'd rather not do that if possible.

Re: Using Tablet with Echo together
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 06:08:09 pm »
We have been using the Show Feature on an HD8 tablet for a cookie of days and it's quite nice. we don't play music in the house when everyone is home, because no one wants to hear my music, so Screw them all since I provide all the means... so no music. But it sits across the room from my deaf Mother-in0law who does not yell, and it recognizes her voice fine, as well as anyone else who comes in and commands anything on the Alexa... are you in a loud environment or something? noisy people? constant TV on? these things definitely mess with how The Echo program hears even on the echo products...

Anyway.. give it all the advantages it needs and see how it works out. These little guys are pretty good at hearing things, but the activity produced will always come from the unit that hears it. You can connect to an external speaker of course, but the mic will still be the one on board the hearing device.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 07:25:42 pm by scottrods »
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Re: Using Tablet with Echo together
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 05:47:39 pm »
the tablet is not an echo.  it does not have the same microphones or speakers as the echos so there will be issues.  you can connect your tablet to bluetooth speakers for better sound but not much you can do with the microphone.   I do not think you can control it using another echo.