Echo & Alexa Forums

try this to see what happens, not at all what i expected

zaphod

try this to see what happens, not at all what i expected
« on: July 20, 2018, 01:54:06 pm »
i had something new happen today. i said, "alexa set inside timer." but i did not get a timer instead alexa attempted to link me up with some service? i tried this four times with the exact same results. dead silent room no other noise and as said never had this happen before setting any timer on any device. so i cannot say set inside timer, is it just me or if others say this do you also get the same unexpected response? just curious.

p.s. i was wary of something happening that would cause me problems on down the road so to speak. so i cancelled each mid-response and didn't get the name of the name of that service. i used another name for the timer and no issues as has always been the case before today.

Re: try this to see what happens, not at all what i expected
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 05:39:07 pm »
are you telling it how long to set the timer for?   I just told alexa to "set inside timer 10 minutes"  with no problems

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 10:03:09 pm »
Tried it on mine her reply was hmmmmm - yap mine was clueless about it.

Out of curiosity why do you have to specifically say inside timer? I just use timer why insert inside?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 10:04:51 pm by asianrocker »

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 11:06:56 pm »
Tried it on mine her reply was hmmmmm - yap mine was clueless about it.

Out of curiosity why do you have to specifically say inside timer? I just use timer why insert inside?

guessing it is the name of the specific timer.  Personally I get confused when setting more than one timer at the same time so I need a name.   

zaphod

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 12:17:44 pm »
are you telling it how long to set the timer for?   I just told alexa to "set inside timer 10 minutes"  with no problems

i had always been able to name my timers whatever i chose to. example when i first posted this i had been watering our yard both outside and inside our hedge. as normal i said, "alexa set outside timer" "for how long?" "one hour" "one hour starting now." then went to set the other but that name i chose as always "inside timer" made the system think i was trying to do something other than set a timer regardless that i had specifically said set...timer. that occurred no matter how many times i attempted it. i ended up switching and called it "inside water" and it worked. only posted at the time as it was really weird how it reacted.

all said before i posted this i tested it again to see if the minor bug had been resolved and it has been. so from now on if i notice a problem, issue ???, i am going to wait a full day to see if it gets resolved before posting. i do appreciate all the input.

have a good one :D