Echo & Alexa Forums

How does one drop in when I have multiple devices spread over 3 locations.

Wayfun

I have multiple echo devices spread over 3 houses.  I have an echo, a spot and soon an echo show at my main residence.  I also have an echo in my winter home in FL and a second Echo show that will be set up for my mother-in-law at her residence.  My question is when dropping in how does one designate which device to drop in on.  All devices are registered to me.  When in FL how do I drop in on my mother in law?  How do other people with echo devices drop in on her?  For example, if my sister in law wants to "drop in" on her mother how does she do that.

Offline jwlv

Drop in works by the name of your Echo devices. For example, I have several Echo devices around the house; One in the living room, one in the kitchen, one in the bathroom, etc. From any one of my devices, I can say "drop in on livingroom" to listen/speak to the living room.

Let's say you named your Echo in the FL home "beach house". From your other devices, just say "drop in on beach house". You can set/change the names from within the Alexa app.

Wayfun

Drop in works by the name of your Echo devices. For example, I have several Echo devices around the house; One in the living room, one in the kitchen, one in the bathroom, etc. From any one of my devices, I can say "drop in on livingroom" to listen/speak to the living room.

Let's say you named your Echo in the FL home "beach house". From your other devices, just say "drop in on beach house". You can set/change the names from within the Alexa app.

I've got that much figured out.  As long as I am dropping in on one of my own units.  I guess my main concern is how does my sister-in-law drop in from her account and home to one of my units.  If she uses my name how will the system know which device to drop in on?  She may want to drop in on either of my locations and her mother.

Laurel

I've got that much figured out.  As long as I am dropping in on one of my own units.  I guess my main concern is how does my sister-in-law drop in from her account and home to one of my units.  If she uses my name how will the system know which device to drop in on?  She may want to drop in on either of my locations and her mother.

I think she will need a hard copy cheat sheet with the names written out.

NikkiRoxi

I am 100% certain you may be the same person that posted this question on another board/site I frequent I know I answered you there too. But in answer to your Sister in Law. She cannot Drop In on any of your devices using the names you have listed nor can she specify which device she would like to Drop In on you with. She can only say Drop In on [insert your name as she has you listed in her address book of her Smartphone]. You see Amazon has not given people the right to specify devices outside of their own household in which to Drop In on. You can only specify which device that is in your own household. Doesn’t matter if the device is physically in your house or not it just must be apart of your household account. So when she Drops In on you, what will happen the device you last used for Drop In will receive the Drop In call or the Echo you are closest to at the time the call comes in will answer the call. Trust me I’ve wanted to be able to do that. I believe I responded if you want to prevent your Mother in Law from receiving calls meant for you, you should create a separate Amazon account for her and then anyone can call her separately from you. You can also add her to your Household using her separate Amazon Account. Register her Echo to her Amazon Account. 

Example. My Parents live in another State from me. They too have Echo Devices. I have 5 and as of a month ago they now have 5 scattered throughout. I know exactly where each one is. I was the person who set up all but 2 of them. I know the names of each of them because they are labeled by their location. However I cannot specify which device to Drop In on. I can only Drop In on them using this phrase “Alexa, Drop In on Mommy”. Because the account used by my Parents to register the Echoes is my Mother’s account. I have her listed in my phone as Mommy. Now since we both have Echo Shows my Drop In usually goes to the Echo Show she has. However if she were closer to her Echo Spot or any other Echo they have it would go to that one, but only if no one was near the Echo Show. It tends to go to the one most frequently used at least that has been my observation. She just got the Spot last month but has had the Show since last November. Their Echo Show is located in the Family room/Kitchen area. It is the location everyone congregates. Also Echo Devices seem to know when someone is in ear shot of them. Because one time I was sitting in my Dining Room and my Mother Dropped in on me, but the call didn't go to the Echo Show I have in my Kitchen but it came through on my Echo Dot that is in my Dining Room. Why because no one was in the Kitchen. The Echo Dot in my DR detected that someone was close to it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 01:55:41 pm by NikkiRoxi »

Wayfun

Thanks Nikki,

I have it working.  I just set my mother-in-law up with her own Amazon ID and so far that is working.  I use my ipad to log into her account with the app and make any settings adjustments remotely.

Dennis