Echo & Alexa Forums

Issue with Echo Spatial Perception (ESP)

dfwactor

Issue with Echo Spatial Perception (ESP)
« on: July 03, 2018, 09:18:16 pm »
Alexa is in almost every room of my house. There's a 1st Gen Echo in the living room, a 2nd gen Dot in the kitchen, a 1st gen Dot in my office upstairs, another in a workout room, and 3 sets of Sonos One speakers in various other rooms.

For the most part, the Echo Spatial Perception between all units works great with one exception. The living room and kitchen are right next to each other with no real wall separating the two rooms. I could be sitting - literally - 2 feet from the Echo in the living room and the Dot in the kitchen - about 30 feet away - will answer almost every time. Both units light up when I use the wake word, but the kitchen Dot is always the one to respond unless I'm standing directly over the Echo. The Echo is not too close to a wall, air vent, TV, or any other piece of furniture that might make it difficult for it to hear anyone. I tried a reset of the Echo and the Dot to no avail.

I could turn off the Dot's mic but I don't always want it to not hear anyone.  Any ideas?

Offline jwlv

Re: Issue with Echo Spatial Perception (ESP)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 09:58:52 pm »
As far as I know, there's no solution to this issue. I face a similar issue with my Echo (1st gen) and Echo Show. I would be 3 ft directly in front of the Echo Show and the Echo 15 ft behind me would answer. As you know Amazon is constantly updating and fine tuning little things on their side. Perhaps one of the fine tuning they will do is adjust the mic sensitivity to a normalized level between devices. I wonder if they have ever or will ever send out an inaudible tone from one Echo while another Echo would listen so that they can spatially map out the acoustics in a room. Or even better, add a function to do that within the Alexa app.

mike27oct

Re: Issue with Echo Spatial Perception (ESP)
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 11:25:59 pm »
You are too close to both devices.  We have solved this problem by giving different wake words to devices too close to one another.