Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Plus and Sharper Image Echo not playing well together

Jwkessler

Echo Plus and Sharper Image Echo not playing well together
« on: June 27, 2018, 11:32:59 am »
I have an Echo Plus in my living room that has worked well for me. I recently acquired a Sharper Image branded Echo that I put in my office (named office). Since then, when I speak to the living room Echo, the audio often, almost alway in fact, comes from the office. Likewise giving a command in the office results in audio coming from the living room speaker. For example, if I ask the living room device (named livingroom) to play a radio station, the station starts playing in the office. To get the living room speaker to play in need to give the commands to the office speaker.

Anyone have thoughts on how to address this?

dragon123

Re: Echo Plus and Sharper Image Echo not playing well together
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 04:07:36 pm »
No experience with sharper image brand, however either place the echos father apart or give them a different wake word are the usual solutions.

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 11:15:08 am »
I have an Alexa enabled speaker cheaper than the one you have. What I did was let my husband install it on his phone. Works as it should.

The genuine echo is installed on my phone. Speakers are not on same account.

I don't think you can do multi room feature with speaker like we have anyway.

Jwkessler

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 08:07:09 pm »
No experience with sharper image brand, however either place the echos father apart or give them a different wake word are the usual solutions.

It isn’t an issue with the wrong Echo hearing my commands. As an example, I’ll say “Alexa” in the living room and that unit's light ring flashes as normal. I then give it a command, like “what time is it,” and the response comes from the office speaker, not the one with the flashing light ring.

Jwkessler

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 08:10:55 pm »
I have an Alexa enabled speaker cheaper than the one you have. What I did was let my husband install it on his phone. Works as it should.

The genuine echo is installed on my phone. Speakers are not on same account.

I don't think you can do multi room feature with speaker like we have anyway.

Interesting idea but I only have a single Amazon account. In any case, I’d like to make this work the way it should without resorting to some hack. You are correct that the third party speakers do not do the multi room thing. You can’t make a group with an Amazon Echo and my Sharper Image unit for example.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 09:36:38 pm »
Sounds to me as if you paired one Echo device to the other's Bluetooth.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 02:19:14 am »
I have quite a few Alexa devices, and I use different wake words between ones in close proximity, but that does not help at all when I address a Google Home nearby on same dresser as a Dot.  The Dot wants to respond, too, even though I asked it nothing.  Some of these devised blow off a wake word and want to do their own thing.  The Alexa devices are more sensitive than the Google Homes I have.  Re arranging the placement of devices can help so they are not directly lined up with one another.  The OP's experience sounds kind of "normal" to me.  These are not real precise gadgets in many cases.

Jwkessler

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 05:08:50 pm »
Sounds to me as if you paired one Echo device to the other's Bluetooth.

Interesting thought. I don’t recall actually doing anything with Bluetooth on either speaker though, but I’ll look at that.