Echo & Alexa Forums

purchasing alexa app

kitley

purchasing alexa app
« on: June 19, 2018, 08:31:18 pm »
Hi was just contacting amazon help.  Has anyone else had to pay in order to connect 2 devices on Alexa app????? He says it will be 99.99 US per year...took my credit card number and then helped me set up my new echo.  Also had me put iPhone data on, which I am sure I did not have to do a few weeks ago when setting up Echo Plus.    Have I just been scammed???????     

kitley

Re: purchasing alexa app
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 10:49:04 pm »
Me again...I did indeed get scammed.  Called and cancelled my credit card.  Called Amazon and Alexa, and Alexa confirmed I had not been speaking to them, and you can have up to 7 devices free on the Alexa app, before there is any charge.  The web site I was on was designed to fool you into thinking it was Amazon.  Will report this to the police tomorrow.  Huge lesson learned, and so glad my hinky meter alerted me.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 12:03:06 am »
and you can have up to 7 devices free on the Alexa app, before there is any charge. 

Better check yourself again. There is no limit to the number of echo devices you can use on the Alexa app. And certainly there is no charge after some arbitrary magic number 7.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 01:02:19 am by jwlv »

kitley

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 10:33:27 am »
and you can have up to 7 devices free on the Alexa app, before there is any charge. 

Better check yourself again. There is no limit to the number of echo devices you can use on the Alexa app. And certainly there is no charge after some arbitrary magic number 7.

Hmmmm...that is the info Alexa gave me via phone last night.  I have to call them again today so will see what they say.  It would be even better if there was no limit. 

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 04:25:31 pm »
there is no limit, if there were, just about every member here would be paying or switch to google home

kitley

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 05:26:44 pm »
there is no limit, if there were, just about every member here would be paying or switch to google home

Good to know...and yes the fellow from Amazon said the same today when I called.  It was a female from Amazon US who told me that.  True in US or not...…...

asianrocker

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 03:59:32 am »
I am curious how you got scammed. Did you call them? Did something pop up on your phone? If I was told I have to pay that much for any reason I would hang up right away.

I have a really good scammer radar plus I would not pay that much for anything much less for a freaking app.