Echo & Alexa Forums

Running Multiple Things with One Command

ham44

Running Multiple Things with One Command
« on: March 10, 2016, 07:48:53 pm »
New Echo Owner... loving it so far!

I'd like to set a command like "Alexa, set away mode".  Ideally, this would start a playlist of my choosing (some audio tracks of background noise that I have) and set my Phillip Hue Lights to cycle on and off every 30 minutes or so.  This would make it look like someone is home. 

Any ideas of how I would be able to do this?

Thank you!!

kilofox

Re: Running Multiple Things with One Command
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 08:22:57 am »
Hmmmm... Off the top of my head, I would take a look at ifttt.com as a place to start. I know that you can control your Hue lights with the Echo using ifttt. However, I am not sure it will be to the degree you want to in your original post.

The Echo on ifttt can only be used for trigger events and not action events. This eliminates the possibility of having a playlist of music played from the Echo's speaker.

fstbusa

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 08:58:34 am »
I don't think you'll be able to do anything with playlists/music or anything directly on the echo but if you had a home automation system such as smartthings, you could easily turn on lights, fans, dimmers, disable alarms, turn on coffee maker, etc with one command... You may be able to accomplish the music thing thru a combination of smartthings and a sonos speaker but getting multiple things to occur on the echo is a no go at this point.

Opieos

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 12:42:45 pm »
Currently I'm running the following:

1. Amazon Echo
2. Harmony Hub (with activities set for WATCH TV, WATCH MOVIE, CHROMECAST)
3. Samsung Smartthings (various light bulbs, motion sensors, leak detectors and wall outlets)

I have the all devices synced\connected to each other. 

On the ECHO side I have a GROUP set-up in SETTINGS > CONNECTED HOMES > GROUPS named LIVINGROOM

In my LIVING ROOM GROUP I have the following  WATCH TV and READING LIGHT. 

If I say "ALEXA, LIVINGROOM ON" it will turn on (with correct inputs\outputs) my TV, HOME ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM and CABLE BOX  and the reading light as well,   If I say "ALEXA, LIVING ROOM OFF" it will turn all devices off I also

It's pretty much wide open from what my new to this self can see as far as what you could set up as ACTIVITIES and then sync across to control by voice.   Will take some hobby play time though