Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo in France

DavidA

Echo in France
« on: June 11, 2018, 12:05:41 pm »
I'm English, but live in France (and do not speak too much French-this is relevant to my problem).  I bought an Echo Dot in the UK last year, but had to set the address in England because French addresses were not recognised.  This meant that asking for the weather, by default, gave the weather at "my address" in England.
Amazon has just started selling the Echo in France, so I changed my address to the French one, but kept my language as English (UK).  The Echo is linked to my French Amazon Prime account (the only one I have right now)
Now the Alexa setup page will not load any skills as the location and language do not match.  It does give the weather at my house, and will play from Music Unlimited, but that's about all unless I change the language to French, in which case I can install French skills.
This isn't much good to me. No BBC, no Sky News, so flash briefings are useless.
Amazon, please realise that not everyone in a given country speaks the language of that country.  Let us use English as a base language.

craftaddict

Re: Echo in France
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 02:25:56 am »
I know how you feel, changed my address to france and no more skills............ she will not even allow me to set reminders anymore like I used to be able to.

asianrocker

Re: Echo in France
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 08:58:30 am »
I seen a lot of problem like this you would think Amazon would have solved this by now.

It's always the weather that is the trigger though and when you 'fix' it then echo becomes unusable.

But knowing the weather hands free vs not using as it should be.

I think I would rather use my hands and know the current weather on my phone. Most phone have widgets that tell you current weather on your screen.

Though I understand that it's fancier to just ask Alexa.