Echo & Alexa Forums

Will the Cube replace the Logitech Harmony

Will the Cube replace the Logitech Harmony
« on: June 07, 2018, 06:11:19 pm »
a lot of users here use their Logitech Harmony to do some tv controlling.  Look like the Amazon Cube will be taking its place.  Besides being a speaker and do the alexa things, it will be able to control your tv. 

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/6/7/17434534/amazon-fire-tv-cube-echo-announced-features-pricing-release-date

Clemdog

Re: Will the Cube replace the Logitech Harmony
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 09:16:38 pm »
Interesting...  But so many questions.
Will it control a TiVo box?  AppleTV?  Why no Dolby vision?

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 05:19:20 pm »
Interesting...  But so many questions.
Will it control a TiVo box?  AppleTV?  Why no Dolby vision?

What's a dolby vision? As to controlling TiVo and appletv. Most likely. I read the specs instead of mic this has surround IR blaster LOL. I think it can control any remote with that.

I'm over alexa controlling or voice controlling my TV though, my Samsung smart TV remote has mic and I can voice control my TV that way just not hands free.

Too pricey for a voice remote. I'll pass.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 06:01:11 pm »
I have a wemo switch to turn my computer on/off.  since I am a cord cutter and have a computer attached to my tv, there is no need to change channels and once the volume is set, it generally stays the same.  so I really do not have a need for it. 

dragon123

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 05:55:37 am »
Only if they control the same devices as the vast database of devices that logitech harmony supports, plus the accompanying activities. I also like the harmony remote to start activities, change volume and switch channels for personal use and also for visitors.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 11:32:37 am »
IN my estimation the cube won't cut the mustard unless it comes in at a much better price point across the board instead the one time entry price...

The Harmony hubs come up pretty often in package deals and on sale for really cheap, and the Dot's also come up cheap all the time... The Hub also has the IR Blaster and does a good job even without it unless the components need to be hidden for some reason.

With the Dot+Echo combo, it can be purchased piece meal as well, making it easier to put in your budget in smaller prices. This alone will probably make a big enough difference to most. The Microphone array is too central and a Dot or other Echo product will mostly have better array layouts due to design being for "Any Area" opposed to "by the TV"...

Just one mans opinion on the subject. Thought maybe someone would do such a comparison before now...

The biggest flaw in all of our entertainment systems interfaces is that they have no knowledge of component status. Until someone can come up with a REALLY good inexpensive version of a system that can do such, we will all be grasping for the next great "smart" control piece that works by voice. Or until all of the manufacturers can usher in truly Smart components that have simple protocol Status sharing.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!