Echo & Alexa Forums

Using Insteon for a light "scene" (with Echo)

Kelleytoons

Using Insteon for a light "scene" (with Echo)
« on: March 09, 2016, 08:14:58 am »
What I really need to do is to have the lights in my home theater go off/on with one command -- something like "Alexa turn off living room".  I know how to control a single device with this approach (I have a fountain I can control via Wemo) but I'm thinking of getting the Insteon and programming the whole house lights.

Does anyone know if it's possible to have two (or more) lights triggered by one command?  I don't want to tell Echo to control each light one at a time (what a PITA) plus there ARE times I'd like to control those lights separately but I can't find out any info on whether it's possible to set a "scene" that combines devices that Alexa can activate by reading the various documentation online.  (I'm going to ask this on the Insteon forum as well).

kilofox

Re: Using Insteon for a light "scene" (with Echo)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 08:21:52 am »
I don't use Insteon, I have Smartthings. In Settings/Connected Home I am able to group my Hue Lights and Z-Wave lights giving them names for the rooms they are in. So I can say "Alexia, turn off the kitchen and all the lights in the kitchen turn off." However, I can still turn individual lights off and on too.

Pretty sure you can do the same with Insteon.

Kelleytoons

Re: Using Insteon for a light "scene" (with Echo)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 09:26:38 am »
Thanks for the reply.

I'll look at the connected home section and see about groups there -- that might tell me all I need to know.