Echo & Alexa Forums

Why no Belkin WeMo Dimmer Switch

OneTrak

Why no Belkin WeMo Dimmer Switch
« on: March 08, 2016, 10:16:40 am »
I have 5 can lights in my kitchen that I have replaced with dimmable LED's. I would love to replace the switch with a WeMO switch that I could control with Alexa and also be able to dim.But I see they do not make one. Does anyone know if there is such an animal?
Thanks

fstbusa

Re: Why no Belkin WeMo Dimmer Switch
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 12:31:01 pm »
Wemo doesn't make one but there are plenty of other smart devices that work with the echo but most if not all require a smart home automation hub of some type.  I started with Wemo but soon abandoned their product line because of their limited available products and it doesn't appear they are adding new devices.

I went with the Smartthings platform and couldn't be happier.  What is nice is the few Wemo devices I have integrate with the Smartthings hub and I can still use them as well as any new devices.

Talisman

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 12:58:46 pm »
I agree, I did the same with the wemo but haven't made the jump to smartthings as of yet. Who wants to buy my Wemo coffee pot? LOL

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 05:45:47 pm »
I am upset the wemo wall switches requires a neutral wire.  I would rather have wall switches instead of connected bulbs, otherwise, whenever guests and other family members use the switch to turn off the light, you have to manually turn it back on before you can use the echo.  I do use tcp connected bulbs with the wink for dimming using the echo. 

I know it is going to cost extra but maybe a combination of wall switches and connected bulbs that can dim may be what is needed in your case. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 09:35:37 pm »
I went with the Smartthings platform and couldn't be happier.  What is nice is the few Wemo devices I have integrate with the Smartthings hub and I can still use them as well as any new devices.

Just curious, which Wemo devices can integrate with Smartthings Hub? 
I am planning to move to Smartthings, but I have way too much invested in Wemo Switches & Light Switches.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 04:36:09 am »

I am planning to move to Smartthings, but I have way too much invested in Wemo Switches & Light Switches.

I ran across this link at smartthings support...

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/200304439-Which-Belkin-WeMo-devices-will-work-with-SmartThings-

fstbusa

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 08:28:29 am »

The switches for one work great and I also have a wemo maker controlling my garage door that although isn't directly supported, works fine with the IFTTT integration.

OneTrak

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 05:04:56 pm »
I was looking for easy & inexpensive, without introducing any extra hardware that my wife cannot figure out.  :P

fstbusa

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 08:52:44 am »
honestly, once you have a smarthub up and running, your wife will never know its there.... just wire in some smart dimmers and they work.  One thing I also like about having a smarthub is you can set up rules to automate your devices also.

I have some lamps come on after dark when the garage door opens so its not dark when entering the house.  Or I have a lamp slowing increase in brightness in the morning to wake up my wife....