Echo & Alexa Forums

Hub to control TV

squirrellydw

Hub to control TV
« on: July 16, 2016, 12:26:33 am »
What would be the best hub to get to control my TV?  I would like to turn it on and off and if possible change channels and volume.  I use Emby or Kodi to watch TV through my Fire TV so not sire I can do everything I want but ON, OFF and Volume should work.  Any ideas?

mat

Re: Hub to control TV
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 01:17:47 am »
harmony obviously

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 03:09:49 am »
I have a wemo insight switch to turn the tv on and off  :-)

squirrellydw

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 01:49:53 pm »
Would a Smart Things hub from Samsung work?  Looking to get one for something else

DParker

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 02:39:33 pm »
Would a Smart Things hub from Samsung work?  Looking to get one for something else

ST doesn'r include an IR (infrared) transmitter, so it can't control the TV directly.  But it will work in conjunction with the Harmony hub.

luxceleritas

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 05:50:30 pm »
Try the Blumoo. It works great and is not very expensive. I can control direvtv, vizio TV, yamaha receiver, kodi, and a floor fan all with voice commands.

squirrellydw

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 06:06:49 pm »
Try the Blumoo. It works great and is not very expensive. I can control direvtv, vizio TV, yamaha receiver, kodi, and a floor fan all with voice commands.

So how does it work with FireTV and Plex, Kodi or Emby.  I use my FireTV and Kodi or Emby to watch some LIVE TV.  How would that work?

luxceleritas

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 02:20:50 am »
For kodi you need a infrared sensor that can be controlled by the Blumoo. I would assume that would be the case for the others. It does support Microsoft mce remote codes. 

squirrellydw

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 01:55:10 pm »
I like how Blumoo can set up macros but I hate the idea of it relying on Bluetooth and my phone.  Can you do macros with Harmony and ST?