Echo & Alexa Forums

Lighting systems....so confused ...Please Help

Floridadomer

Lighting systems....so confused ...Please Help
« on: March 07, 2016, 09:52:01 am »
I thought that I needed to drop 200 to start a wireless lighting system but just saw the Philips Hue starter kit that has the hub and 2 white light bulbs for 79.99.
While the idea of having options to change colors is fun I am not sure if we would ever have the need for that. So my question is that kit a good choice to start with or is there another one that anyone would suggest?
Any help would be more appreciated than you know. I have done some research but I get overwhelmed.  :o

Re: Lighting systems....so confused ...Please Help
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 12:49:48 pm »
I thought that I needed to drop 200 to start a wireless lighting system but just saw the Philips Hue starter kit that has the hub and 2 white light bulbs for 79.99.
While the idea of having options to change colors is fun I am not sure if we would ever have the need for that. So my question is that kit a good choice to start with or is there another one that anyone would suggest?
Any help would be more appreciated than you know. I have done some research but I get overwhelmed.  :o

I have tcp connected bulbs and gateway.  It works with the echo through the wink.  I do not have a need for the colors nor do I really have a need for the dimming features of the tcp bulbs.  I thought I would use the dimming features but never do.  Also I had the bulbs well over a year before getting the echo but that is another story.  IMO, if you dont think you have a need for the color bulbs other than for conversation purposes, go with the cheaper hue starter package where the bulbs do not change color.  you can always get color later.   Also look at it this way, you get more bulbs if you don't get color  :-)

valedecem

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 05:59:31 pm »

I have tcp connected bulbs and gateway.  It works with the echo through the wink.  I do not have a need for the colors nor do I really have a need for the dimming features of the tcp bulbs.  I thought I would use the dimming features but never do.  Also I had the bulbs well over a year before getting the echo but that is another story.  IMO, if you dont think you have a need for the color bulbs other than for conversation purposes, go with the cheaper hue starter package where the bulbs do not change color.  you can always get color later.   Also look at it this way, you get more bulbs if you don't get color  :-)

Your TCP bulbs are working with echo? 😍 That gives me a great deal of hope.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 06:16:48 pm »

Your TCP bulbs are working with echo? 😍 That gives me a great deal of hope.

indirectly.  you will need the wink hub

DParker

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 07:07:32 pm »

Consider a SmartThings hub instead.  Yeah, it has its problems (all the "smart home" ecosystems do), but ST is the most flexible and well-supported of the bunch.  At least, for now.  Sure, you'll start with some lighting.  But before you know it you'll come down with an incurable case of the home automation flu, and you'll be wandering the streets trying to score motion sensors, smart thermostats and remote-controllable door locks.  ;)

valedecem

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 10:55:29 pm »

Consider a SmartThings hub instead.  Yeah, it has its problems (all the "smart home" ecosystems do), but ST is the most flexible and well-supported of the bunch.  At least, for now.  Sure, you'll start with some lighting.  But before you know it you'll come down with an incurable case of the home automation flu, and you'll be wandering the streets trying to score motion sensors, smart thermostats and remote-controllable door locks.  ;)

I've already gotten the bug, it seems. It all started with wanting to control my keurig from bed. I began amassing materials for that project and somehow I ended up impulsively picking up a hue starter kit and a set of lightstrips. The next thing I knew, I was scooping up a hue color starter kit and a couple dozen TCP bulbs.  ::) I now have two hue bridges, a tcp bridge, a wink hub and a raspberry pi. I planned to get smartthings, but there wasn't one within 45 minutes of my home and I couldn't wait, so I went with wink. Going to attempt the TCP/wink setup tonight. Wish me luck. :D

BJBrian

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 10:22:20 pm »
Are there any stand-alone light bulbs that will work directly with the Echo or must you have an adapter? I'm assuming an adapter... would one adapter work for unlimited lights?

DParker

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 10:43:23 pm »
Are there any stand-alone light bulbs that will work directly with the Echo

No.  Currently, all "smart" bulbs communicate via wireless protocols like Z-Wave and Zigbee that are designed for home automation networking.  The Echo does support these protocols  (lacking both the hardware and software required).  So it interacts with HA products via a "cloud-to-cloud" architecture in which your voice command is sent via Wi-Fi across the internet to an Amazon server that translates it into a command recognized by the service that provides internet access to your HA system.  The translated command is forwarded to that company's servers, which in turn translate it into instructions for your HA system's hub (the internet-connected gizmo in your house that I assume you're referring to as an "adapter")...which then sends the apropriate instruction to your smart bulb, telling it to turn on, turn off or dim to a desired level.

would one adapter work for unlimitedlights?

Unlimited?  No.  A lot?  Yes.  How many depends on which system you're using.  For instance, a single SmartThings hub will handle up to 254 devices (bulbs, sensors, etc).  And if you manage to max that out, you can add additional hubs to your system.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:46:50 pm by DParker »

Scooter

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 09:40:28 am »
Are there any stand-alone light bulbs that will work directly with the Echo or must you have an adapter? I'm assuming an adapter... would one adapter work for unlimited lights?

Of course. Buy a 1000 LIFX bulb. They connect immediately with WIFI and then Echo.

I have a Philips Hue system with about 10 bulbs. It's awesome. Don't believe those who say they don't need the colors. The colors are awesome. Let me know if you need any more info. I'm glad to share my experience.

DParker

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 09:59:40 am »
Don't believe those who say they don't need the colors.

When I bought Hue bulbs I went with the Lux (white) versions because I absolutely do not need colored lights...especially at $60/bulb...believe me or not.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:45:35 am by DParker »

Scooter

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 10:47:32 am »
so I should believe him or not? lol

DParker

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 11:48:35 am »
so I should believe him or not? lol

You have my word on it.

(Now let's see who the older folks on this board are.)

Offline kevb

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 12:18:24 pm »
DParker, if only there were a "Like" button

ScottinPollock

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 12:28:11 pm »

If you haven't already made a decision, I can say I have been with Hue an awfully long time, and it is flat out the best system out there. From a bridge that is locally controlled when you are home (no internet needed), and remotely controlled when you are away; to a great local API with superb documentation; lots of cool third party apps; 100% reliability; better support, more frequent upgrades, and new features, SDKs, Frameworks, devices coming all the time.

IMHO, Philips is the poster child for how to do smart lighting and the IoT right. No one compares at this point, and tieing your lights to something like the Wink or SmartThings hubs is like greasing your wheels LocTite. Yeah, they're a little pricier than some other stuff but worth every penny!

markv

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 01:11:32 pm »
I humbly agree with ScottinPollock about Hue reliability and response - the Hue lighting protocol is fast and relatively open (for now) so there are plenty of automation solutions. I don't actually have any Philips Hue bulbs since I use Insteon devices with an open source Hue emulator which lets me control them with the Echo, and it's been very reliable.