Echo & Alexa Forums

A sucker born every minute? No way!

Re: A sucker born every minute? No way!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 05:37:26 am »
some of those prices are ridicules.   

emtJason

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 10:46:12 am »
I just picked one up at Home Depot on Saturday.  They had 5 in stock.  I should have bought all of them and resold on ebay.  Seems like too much work for $40.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 02:22:51 pm »
How much at Home Depot?

rehills

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 09:36:00 pm »
There was one Echo left at my Home Depot and they were selling it for around $170.

DParker

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 05:08:38 pm »
This is exactly why I left eBay. (and Paypal) It was once good but no longer. I can get pretty much anything I need from Amazon for far less, and you're right.. suckers.

I still find a lot of good deals on eBay for significantly less than anywhere else (including Amazon, even factoring Prime free shipping).  The trick is to use it for items you're willing to wait a week or more for, and stick to established sellers with solid reputations.

vegasguy

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 06:31:11 pm »
The best deals on eBay are phone cases, Chargers, cables and the like. I just bought a car USB charger for $0.79 (buy it now)  and it's coming from China. I don't know how they do it. For me to send an  item over 1/4" thick will cost at least $1.98 in postage. The PayPal fee is $0.30. They must be using some kind of loophole to get free or cheap shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DParker

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 01:46:39 pm »
I have been screwed so many times on eBay it turned out the money lost far outweighed the money saved. It now seems to be mostly off-shore junk.

I've bought many, many things via eBay...from cheap hobby electronics components from China, to the high-end tool box I got for the bed of my truck...and I've never once had a bad experience.  Like I said, you just need to stick to doing business with vendors that have extensive and consistently positive feedback.  If you've been "screwed" as many times as you say then you've either been taking unnecessary risks buying from unproven vendors, or are just ridiculously unlucky.

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 06:50:00 pm »
To each his own I guess.. I stand by what I said. Never again.

I have been screwed so many times on eBay it turned out the money lost far outweighed the money saved. It now seems to be mostly off-shore junk.

I've bought many, many things via eBay...from cheap hobby electronics components from China, to the high-end tool box I got for the bed of my truck...and I've never once had a bad experience.  Like I said, you just need to stick to doing business with vendors that have extensive and consistently positive feedback.  If you've been "screwed" as many times as you say then you've either been taking unnecessary risks buying from unproven vendors, or are just ridiculously unlucky.

I have had good experiences with ebay but for me the risk is too high so I quit using them years ago -  starting the day I logged into my account and found it was in a different language. 

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 05:09:21 am »
I have been buying from eBay all along, and yes, I got screwed once or twice; the second time eBay bailed me out.  Both were small purchases, tho. 

Just bought a new open box router recently from eBay. Brand new.  Why, I have a great home router? Got it real cheap, too. It was top-o-line router a few years ago with a built-in 1TB hard drive, that I got to be my new "wireless drive" that uses 5G signal instead of the two I have that only use 2.4G.  Yea, it's bigger than the real things I have, but who cares if I throw it in the trunk on the way to the beach resort so we can watch our movies at night! Could even use it in the car if I wanted to since I have a voltage converter.