Echo & Alexa Forums

turn lights on

bonehead

turn lights on
« on: May 06, 2018, 05:06:16 pm »
Hi, new to all this Amazon alexa stuff.

i have sent up my tech to be able to come on when alexa gets the command. I was wondering if there is any way that alexa can turn lights on when she detects that i am on my way back home without using the app.

asianrocker

Re: turn lights on
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 07:28:11 pm »
I don't know about lights but there are other smart devices like nest that can do that. It uses the gps to detect if you're home or away and it will set it to the temperature you program it.

dragon123

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 08:34:51 pm »
Hi, new to all this Amazon alexa stuff.

i have sent up my tech to be able to come on when alexa gets the command. I was wondering if there is any way that alexa can turn lights on when she detects that i am on my way back home without using the app.

Which lights?

I very much doubt if alexa can, but for instance Philips Hue can do geofencing with the standard hue app. Another way would be to use IFTTT but again this depends on what brand of light/plugs you use.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 10:39:40 pm »
All of the "extra" features are done by the smart plugs or switches themselves. You don't need to use Alexa for that. Just think of it this way. Alexa is for voice control. So if you're on the way home, you really can't voice control smart devices in your home (unless you have an Echo device in the car). But as asianrocker stated, you can accomplish what you described with other services like IFTTT, built-in geofencing with Philips Hue hardware, etc.

bonehead

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 05:32:41 am »
Hi. Thank you for your response. My sockets are ifttt how do I go about setting these up. Is there an app or something.

fstbusa

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 10:37:27 am »
Hi. Thank you for your response. My sockets are ifttt how do I go about setting these up. Is there an app or something.

you can either use the ifttt website or the phone app... add the "location" applet.... create a rule that whenever you cross a certain location, to turn on your lights.

fstbusa

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 10:38:13 am »
All of the "extra" features are done by the smart plugs or switches themselves. You don't need to use Alexa for that. Just think of it this way. Alexa is for voice control. So if you're on the way home, you really can't voice control smart devices in your home (unless you have an Echo device in the car). But as asianrocker stated, you can accomplish what you described with other services like IFTTT, built-in geofencing with Philips Hue hardware, etc.

not entirely true.... you have access to alexa via the microphone button within the amazon shopping app.  you can use it in that manner, just not hands free.

greatcapp

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 10:00:58 am »

not entirely true.... you have access to alexa via the microphone button within the amazon shopping app.  you can use it in that manner, just not hands free.

Also with the Amazon Music App. That is how I have Alexa set up in my car. Didn't need to install a Dot or anything, just fire up the Amazon Music App on the iPhone.

Offline kenf

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 02:57:44 pm »
I'm assuming you mean to use GeoFencing to recognize when you get to your house, and a trigger fires to turn on the lights, without any action by you.

Alexa itself cannot do that.

Nest Thermostat does have GeoFencing, and can change its state.
If you have Hues lightbulbs, they might hook into IFTTT (I'm pro  smart-switch, not a smart bulbs)
IFTTT could then watch the Nest state change to "home" and then trigger Hues to work.  But that can be slow.

Since I am a smart-switch guy, i'll tell you how I do it:
Samsung SmartThings2  Hub (ST) is the brains.
GE Z-wave switches on one light per room (at least).
ST exposes all my z-wave stuff to Alexa so voice commands work
ST also has GeoFencing so it knows when I'm Back (the name of the template it has for that purpose)
That routine fires when my iPhone gets close to home and turns on what I set it to (the front porch light)

SmartThings or Wemo are the top hubs with the most protocols they support (z-wave, zigbee and more).  Most future proofing I could get.  I use z-wave smart light switches or outlet adapters (GE is my preference).  Everything has a mechanical switch for WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) or tech outage.  Either of those hubs will smoothly translate all that stuff to Alexa, ensuring you'v got brains AND voice commands.

Smart bulbs have their place, mostly for renters.  I'm looking into making custom lamps with Z-wave adapters built in AND physical switches wired up correctly.  Hues can't touch that, and Phillips' smart lamps are ugly as they are over-priced.

t2jock

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 03:24:11 pm »
I agree with most of what KenF said in the last post.  I also use SmartThings and have for several years.  I have locks, thermostats, motion sensors (actually multi sensors that do motion, heat, humidity and light) as well as lights.  Where I differ with Ken is on the question of bulbs vs switches.  IF you are comfortable doing your own electrical work, installing switches and then using dumb LED bulbs is the way to go.  But if you're not comfortable replacing a switch yourself smart bulbs may be your best choice. 

I've tried many of the brands out there and seem to be zeroing in on Sengled as the most cost effective choice currently available for smart bulbs.  If you're going to use dumb bulbs Phillips has a line of bulbs that are very economical.

Offline kenf

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 04:10:50 pm »
Keep in mind, you can hire an electrician. :)

installing a number of smart switches should be quick work for a pro.

Get on Nextdoor.com and ask for advice and next thing you know, you've met a neighbor, bought them a beer, and gotten switches installed.