Echo & Alexa Forums

Nest voice control issue

dan8379

Nest voice control issue
« on: May 29, 2018, 08:47:37 am »
Hi, just bought a Nest thermostat and added the skill in the app but can't get the voice control to work.  I added the device and it shows under smart devices, but it doesn't recognize any voice commands (Alexa, what is the temperature set in the family room, Alexa raise the temperature in the family room, etc).  The device is named Family room, so I'm not sure why it's not working.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

asianrocker

Re: Nest voice control issue
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:08:14 am »
You're using wrong command.. I would presume. Especially your first question. It's a hit or miss for me to know the current temp. The one I interchange is - set to or set at command.

I also don't use complete sentences. These AIs are robot and I treat them as such knowing they are programmed to respond to certain words most times.

As for raising temp I never use that command I say the specific temp I want.

I also would recommend changing device name. I usually use 1 word.

In my case though it does recognize thermostat and I didn't name it that.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 06:34:19 pm »
Just say: what is the inside temperature.  Or set temperature to 75 degrees.

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 09:49:14 pm »
I use shorter command and on point. Like I said as long as you got the trigger word right. Technically it's called syntax.

I usually say <device name> 72. Simple.

dan8379

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 11:10:35 am »
So our Echo devices are set up under my wife's e-mail address as our primary account, but I set up the Nest under my e-mail address.  Would that prevent the voice control from working?  It is showing as linked in the app, so I don't think this should matter but thought I would ask.

muffking

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 12:51:27 pm »
My first post here, so I'll make it a helpful one before I start asking questions.
I got my first Echo yesterday and added the Nest Skill. Alexa is running on my wifes Amazon account the Nest is running off mine. Both work fine. I just ask Alexa to, "Set the temperature in the hallway to **" or "Tell me what's the temperature in the hallway set to".