Echo & Alexa Forums

New to Alexa and having strange problems

Steve1530

New to Alexa and having strange problems
« on: May 25, 2018, 04:01:30 pm »
I have two refurbished Dots.  I don't know if they are just not working correctly or the whole system is buggy

I've been having the same problem with both. They seem to work fine but then all of a sudden it will quit doing certain things.

The two most frustrating things are that It will not recognize a playlist called Steve's. While it's playing music I will request a song to be added to Steve's playlist and its response is "there appears to be no music playing at this time". It does not even know it's playing music. Sometimes this works just fine and then it will not.

Second, I will ask it to play Steve's playlist and it will start to play songs by Steve Earle. I will ask it several times and it always plays Steve Earle.  This drives me crazy

Yes, I have gone through the process of teaching it my voice. 

Also, it keeps saying that it is paired with my phone. It might say this 5 times in 10 minutes. Then suddenly it will stop 

How can I fix these problems

Thank you very much for your help

Re: New to Alexa and having strange problems
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 04:47:07 pm »
are you sure you are using the proper commands?   also are you wanting it to pair with your phone or is it doing it on its own.

Laurel

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 05:50:39 pm »
I find that Alexa can be very finicky with phrasing of commands.  Sometimes she will play the play list requested and sometimes she won't find it.  I have been a user since the beginning and things improve all the time, but there are still little things that are inconsistent.  But being word perfect is pretty important.  For example, I just asked Alexa to play my Roy Rogers playlist and she said she couldn't find that.  I then tried again and was more specific i.e. Alexa play my Roy Rogers and Dale Evans playlist.  So be as specific as you can be.   

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 01:29:24 am »
There is a contemporary good slide-guitar playing blues singer named Roy Rogers.  Is Alexa getting him mixed up with the old Roy Rogers/Dale Evans?

Steve1530

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 08:15:31 am »
renegade600

it is pairing with my phone on its own.

I think I am using the correct commands. Sometimes it works and then it does not.

I will say "Alexa play Steve's playlist" it plays Steve Earle

I will say, while it's playing music "Alexa add this song to Steve's playlist" its response is "there appears to be no music playing at this time".

AlanH

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 08:18:12 am »
Where is “Steve’s playlist”? Spotify, Amazon Music...?

Steve1530

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 08:21:18 am »
Thanks, Laurel

I will say "Alexa play Steve's playlist" it plays Steve Earle. Is that the correct phrasing? The playlists name Steve's

This drives me crazy.
I will say, while it's playing music "Alexa add this song to Steve's playlist" its response is "there appears to be no music playing at this time". It appears that is does not know it's playing music?

Steve1530

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 08:26:53 am »
 mike27oct

I just ask it to play the blues singer Roy Rogers and it started playing his songs. Thanks by the way he sounds great

Steve1530

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 08:27:37 am »
Where is “Steve’s playlist”? Spotify, Amazon Music...?

Amazon Music

AlanH

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 08:29:54 am »
Have you tried adding “...from Amazon Music” when requesting your playlist?

Laurel

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 12:01:30 pm »
mike27oct

I just ask it to play the blues singer Roy Rogers and it started playing his songs. Thanks by the way he sounds great

I love Roy Rogers, but if you play it at a party, the guests start to slowly leave lol.  I have a play list made from a specific album of Roy and Dale so I have to be specific giving the title of the playlist i.e. ask exactly what I have named the playlist instead of just saying play Roy Rogers.  If just say play Roy Rogers, I get the same as you nice music of his, but if I say "play playlist Roy Rogers", Alexa will say it isn't there because I downloaded a specific album and named it Roy Rogers and Dale Evans.  I hope that is clear.  I wonder if your "play Steve's playlist is too generic?"  I honestly don't know for sure.  I just have learned in all things phrasing is critical to outcome.

Laurel

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 12:04:19 pm »
mike27oct

I just noticed the "blues singer" portion of your comment.  I was surprised that you liked Roy Rogers lol.  I was talking about the old cowboy singer lol.

mike27oct

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 01:09:53 pm »
More Roy Rogers trivia: 
There is a guy in Australia with a weekly blues radio (and podcast) show; his name is Salty Dog. He opens the show with Roy Rogers playing his instrumental piece called "Avalanche".  Roy is from the SF Bay Area and developed his chops playing in John Lee Hooker's band as a young member.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 01:54:19 pm »
I will say, while it's playing music "Alexa add this song to Steve's playlist" its response is "there appears to be no music playing at this time". It appears that is does not know it's playing music?

If you are playing music from, say TuneIn or IHeartradio or Pandora, Alexa does not know what is playing. If you are playing from Prime Music or Amazon Music Unlimited, then Alexa knows what is playing and can add it to your playlist.

Steve1530

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 04:03:05 pm »
You should get some new friends  :)

mike27oct

I love Roy Rogers, but if you play it at a party, the guests start to slowly leave lol.