Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo dot missing first word - hardwired

Pilsbury

Echo dot missing first word - hardwired
« on: May 21, 2018, 10:03:32 am »
Hi. I've had a dot for some time. It usually just sits on my side and works very well. I have just installed some ceiling speakers in my kitchen and have put in a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable so the dot can play through the speakers. It all works fine except Alexa missed the first word or two from her reply.

This is no issue if I'm playing music, but if I ask the time or similar Alexa would reply "it's 3.45pm" but I only get "45 pm".

Why is Alexa missing off the first words when hardwired to my speakers?

mike27oct

Re: Echo dot missing first word - hardwired
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 03:09:48 pm »
There is a delay in the audio out from Dot to speaker.  It has nothing to do with the Dot, as output is instantaneous under a normal setup.  What are the RCA left and right channel outputs plugged into?  Is it a stereo amp or powered speakers?

A normal setup is the RCA plugs go into an aux in of a stereo amp so output of Dot can be heard on the stereo's speakers.  No delay.

I am presuming the Dot output is plugged into self-powered speakers, and if so, this is where the delay originates, because until an audio input signal is detected by the speakers, there is a momentary delay of speaker output until power is applied that cuts off the beginning of Alexa comments.

Others have also tried what you are doing and have the same delay problem, and it is just the way it is; there is no "solution" other than to live with it, or not set up the Dot this way

It may work if you wake up the speaker system by asking "Alexa, hello?" and after you hear the response then ask your question to Alexa.

Pilsbury

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 03:39:12 pm »
Well Mike, you have guessed my setup exactly and given me the answer! Bravo.

Indeed the dot is connected to a pair of Bluetooth speakers with their own integral amp.

You are also correct in that if I say hello, followed swiftly by another command, she answers fully. By my quick test I have about 2 seconds to get the question in before the speaker "sleeps" again.

Many thanks for your reply

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 06:10:31 pm »
Good news.  You may not have to wait for the hello reply from Alexa.  Right after you say hello, try in a second or two your real question (Alexa what time is it, etc)  Just play with it to find a sweet spot.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 07:13:05 pm »
Not exactly a solution, but a workaround.

You can set up your Echo to play a confirmation beep when it hears the wake word. This beep should be sufficient for your powered speakers to receive an audio signal and power up. After you ask your question, the speakers are already powered up and can output Alexa's full reply without cutting off the beginning of it.

The confirmation beep can be turned on in the Alexa app, settings, sounds & notifications.

Your typical exchange would go something like this:
Alexa, beep (speaker powers up but nothing is audible yet) What time is it? It's 3:25pm