Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Radio Stream

mud1m

Alexa Radio Stream
« on: May 19, 2018, 03:59:35 pm »
Hello! I have some local radio stations I would like to stream to Alexa. How can I make Alexa play the Webstream, Here is one stream for example. http://kool1017.com/listen-live/popup/

dragon123

Re: Alexa Radio Stream
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 04:45:20 pm »
Hello! I have some local radio stations I would like to stream to Alexa. How can I make Alexa play the Webstream, Here is one stream for example. http://kool1017.com/listen-live/popup/

If the station you want is not supported by an existing skill, you can either use your phone/laptop + bt, or write a skill for it yourself...

mud1m

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 04:48:55 pm »

If the station you want is not supported by an existing skill, you can either use your phone/laptop + bt, or write a skill for it yourself...

So how would I go about doing it? Can you give me any insight on making it work? Thanks!

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 09:13:34 pm »
I have been seeing a lot of stream radio threads here. What is up with that? Your PC or laptop or BT or aux speaker not good enough or something? Honestly those are better quality speaker than the echo.

I fail to see the logic here. Someone illuminate me. I don't get it.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 11:01:25 pm »
@mud1m

You don't need a skill~  You use TuneIn radio or IHeart radio which is an Alexa feature in every device.  If you don't know this, then you need to read the basicS of your device from Amazon website.

So, this is how it is used, you say "Alexa, play KOOL FM from tunein".  I just did it and it started playing.  So, now figure out what to say for other stations.  Sometimes you need to say the call letters, or, like KOOl, a nickname.

mud1m

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 06:39:13 pm »
@mud1m

You don't need a skill~  You use TuneIn radio or IHeart radio which is an Alexa feature in every device.  If you don't know this, then you need to read the basicS of your device from Amazon website.

So, this is how it is used, you say "Alexa, play KOOL FM from tunein".  I just did it and it started playing.  So, now figure out what to say for other stations.  Sometimes you need to say the call letters, or, like KOOl, a nickname.

I totally understand how to use the Alexa, But the problem is there is several stations that I want to listen to that are not on TuneIn or iHeart..., But they DO have their own stream on their website. Thats why I was wondering how one could possibly link their stream to play on Alexa. Im sure there is a way and someone has done it before!

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 07:06:56 pm »
Alexa can't do what you want to do, but this is how you get one of these NON-tune stations on an Alexa device -- you use bluetooth.  Play the station on a mobile device, send its sound via BT to the Alexa device.  Not elegant, but how it is done.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 04:02:52 pm by mike27oct »

JohninCT

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 02:59:44 pm »
I had the same problem. Try the My Pod skill. It lets you add 15 stream URLs and play them on your Echo. Works like a charm.

asianrocker

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 08:37:52 am »
I checked that mypod skill. That's what the OP is looking for but I fail to see why you need to stream it to Alexa. I guess so you can voice command it to play and that is what I meant why most skills are pointless, IMO.

Playing it via BT is easier or directly play it on laptop. Clicking is easier in this case compared to mouthful of voice command to play it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 08:39:43 am by asianrocker »