Echo & Alexa Forums

Which Echo Sounds the Best?

Offline jwlv

Which Echo Sounds the Best?
« on: May 16, 2018, 07:20:16 am »
For those of you who have every version of the Echo, in your personal opinion which one sounds the best for music?
Original Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Dot 2nd Gen, Echo Tap, Echo Show, Echo 2nd Gen, Echo Spot.

Re: Which Echo Sounds the Best?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 07:43:28 am »
I don't own one of each, but have had enough personal experience to say the Second Gen Echo (full size) has best audio quality. The original Echo Full sized unit was pretty decent, considering the basis and goals of that edition... Marketing. The OG one still sounds great to me, considering it's design and age... but the new one has a better more full and rich sound... I don't use my Echos for music anyway, because I don't enjoy the set up process and all the added equipment to get all my stuff to work like I'd want it to... I have a decent sound bar that does fine for my tiny audio needs. If I were younger and single, I might have a different outlook on it, but my current life and world around me doesn't have much room for personalization and enjoyment right now.

Short version : New. Echo 2nd generation sounds best.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

h3mp

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 08:19:47 am »
I have dots, spots, show, and original Echo
Echo Show is by far the best sound.

AlanH

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 10:24:50 am »
Out of my original Echo, Echo 2nd generation, Spot and Dot, the Echo 2nd generation is my favourite
for music.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 01:24:41 pm »
Since they all sound like mono table radios, I kind of like the Tap that has decent fidelity and is also stereo for better spacial effect.  I mostly prefer piping a Dot's audio out to the stereo.

iolinux333

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 05:43:23 am »
Since they all sound like mono table radios, I kind of like the Tap that has decent fidelity and is also stereo for better spacial effect.  I mostly prefer piping a Dot's audio out to the stereo.

The Tap is stereo? Really? Do you have a link for this?

I think the Tap sounds best at low volume for a standalone device.

I have a Dot plugged into a pair of studio monitors that sounds excellent at medium volumes.

If I could have only one Echo, it would be a Dot plugged into a good set of stereo speakers.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 12:00:39 pm »
"The Tap is stereo? Really? Do you have a link for this?"

Yes, read through the full description of Tap product at Amazon.

Resonance

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 03:11:28 pm »
I’ve got an Echo 1st gen, 2nd gen and a dot. To my ears the Echo 1st gen sounds the best.

froglips

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 03:32:45 pm »
My first gen Echo sounds better than the gen 2 Echo I have.  That being said my Google Home is WAY better sounding!  A lot of this better sound may be that unlike the Echo, Google home has software adjustable tone controls.  Don't know why Echos don't have any means of adjusting / equalizing sound.

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 04:36:29 pm »
My Echo 1gen is better suited for speech/talk radio, whereas my Google Home is better for music,  The Home is bassier, and the tone control help take the edge off the bass. and raises the treble.

Porting the audio out of Dot to stereo is much better, by far.