Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

tips for getting my echo to quit responding to "hey google"

f4leggin

Hello all! I have a question I can't seem to get answered, and it hasn't been reported anywhere(as near as I can tell by doing web searches). But, my echo dot keeps responding when I am talking to my google home device. It wakes up when I say "hey google". Has anyone experienced this, and does anyone have a solution? It's driving me batty. It doesn't do it every time and seems to do it more when I am issuing multiple commands to the home device in a short period of time.

TIA!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:32:02 am by f4leggin »

asianrocker

Re: tips for getting my echo to quit responding to "hey google"
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 09:33:46 am »
I just tried it with mine and nothing. Then I look back at my phone and Google Assistant is open.

Are they close together? Weird though to put them side by side.

f4leggin

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 09:40:07 am »
I have them both in my office - my husband is a confirmed alexa user, and I am a home person, lol. Maybe she knows I can't stand her. But the echo does work better to control my lights (one less bridge or whatever required). And we use the echo as an intercom. Muting the echo works fine, it's just annoying to have to do it - and it's very invasive.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 12:02:38 pm »
I have same issue with a Dot and Home close to one another. I just ignore it since there is nothing we can do other than separate the devices more.

froglips

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 12:47:16 pm »
I have both, but Echo has NEVER responded when I say "Hey Google, OK Google".

Jerome

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 03:21:37 am »
Is you Echo paired as a Bluetooth speaker for your Google Home ?
Just a thought even though it might seem far fetched...

f4leggin

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 12:02:26 pm »
I'm glad at least one of you have seen this behavior. It is a dot and home - I wonder if that could related. Not the dot responding as a speaker for the home because she has her own responses - not the homes response. At any rate - glad to know it's not just me. Thanks for all your replies.

malliekm

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 10:14:16 pm »
It's never ever happened here and I have two Dots that are close to two Homes.  Sometimes I say "Alex...uh, Hey Google" and she'll respond with "I'm flattered but that's not me".

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 05:30:19 pm »
I'm glad at least one of you have seen this behavior. It is a dot and home - I wonder if that could related. Not the dot responding as a speaker for the home because she has her own responses - not the homes response. At any rate - glad to know it's not just me. Thanks for all your replies.
Have you considered changing the "wake" name for either and/or both devices?