Echo & Alexa Forums

Auto on/off

Mike@47546

Auto on/off
« on: April 30, 2018, 10:18:38 am »
I would like Alexa to play the local news every weekday at 8 a.m. and then stop at 8:30. How would I set this up?
Thanks

AlanH

Re: Auto on/off
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 10:49:20 am »
You could simply set a recurring alarm using your chosen radio station rather than an alarm sound, but the alarm will sound for a full hour before turning off, so not ideal.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 11:12:12 am »
I would like Alexa to play the local news every weekday at 8 a.m. and then stop at 8:30. How would I set this up?
Thanks
Tell your Echo device "Set sleep timer for 8:30 a.m."

Laurel

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 11:41:51 am »
Thanks
Tell your Echo device "Set sleep timer for 8:30 a.m."
The sleep timer won't repeat. It is only for 24 hours.

Offline kenf

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 12:53:15 pm »
the right answer should have been a Routine, but I just played with the UI and it doesn't have a duration or stop time.  So getting it to stop at 8:30 is a challenge.

For the part about News, you have a choice of the News Flash Briefing, or set it to Music and then choose iHEartRadio or TuneIn to select an actual radio station if they have it.

I suspect the News Flash Briefing has a limited run time, so that's closer to what you wanted, and you should have configured News Flash briefing to come from sources you want (ex. NPR).

That much is doable.  To get it precisely from a radio station for 30 minutes, oddly enough, it seems the 30 minute limit is the part that can't be done.