Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo not wireless?

echoenthusiast

Echo not wireless?
« on: May 06, 2018, 06:33:56 pm »
Hey guys,

So I just got an Echo and this whole time I thought they were wireless as well.. am I not setting it up correctly or is it true that a smart speaker is not wireless?!

dragon123

Re: Echo not wireless?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 08:38:51 pm »
Hey guys,

So I just got an Echo and this whole time I thought they were wireless as well.. am I not setting it up correctly or is it true that a smart speaker is not wireless?!

Which wire do you mean, exactly?
And which echo and what are you trying to accomplish ie playing the alexa sound over a stereo or something?

In most cases, all you need is a power cable (and wifi), an audio cable is only needed in specific cases.

strayfish

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 03:03:45 am »
Hey guys,

Do you mean it doesn't have a rechargeable battery? That's right, it doesn't, but you can get battery bases for Echo and Dot - the previous generation anyway - that last around 4-7 hours. I have one for my Dot and another for the Echo which means I can take them with me as I move around. The bathroom in particular, as there isn't a power socket in there, also a little way down the garden.

echoenthusiast

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 03:09:02 pm »
@strayfish oh okay I see. that's a bummer, you would think a smart speaker would be wireless!

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 04:34:47 pm »
If you want a portable Alexa, get an Amazon Tap with built in rechargeable battery and plays music in stereo; unlike other Alexa gadgets.

strayfish

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 05:38:44 pm »
@strayfish oh okay I see. that's a bummer, you would think a smart speaker would be wireless!
I thought that too, but the battery cases do a decent job. Extra cost though.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 06:34:14 pm »
I use my Tap like a portable radio.  In fact I like to listen to my talk radio show on it and it is much easier than toting an Echo from room to room.  Worth the extra to me, and in fact I have two Taps -- one for upstairs and another for down. Used one yesterday while doing yard work.