Echo & Alexa Forums

Incredibly strange issue regarding EQ

ingeberge

Incredibly strange issue regarding EQ
« on: April 27, 2018, 10:52:59 am »
Hi,

I've encountered what I find to be a very strange issue with my Echo. I have it hooked up to a relatively high end stereo system (via the headphone jack.) Sounds great. Recently, the Echo has taken to intermittently playing back music with a corrupted EQ/Compression: the low end is grotesquely boosted and it sounds like there's some sort of compression issues as well. The problem goes away when I restart the Echo, but returns after a period of sitting idle.

At first, I thought my stereo receiver was busted, but no, it's the source.

The source of the audio doesn't matter, it can be straight from Amazon Unlimited via tha Alexa app, or it can be via bluetooth or Spotify Connect from other devices.

I'm mystified.

Incidentally, I noticed at the same time that the Echo sometimes now shows up as named "AEORD" rather than "Inge's Echo" when connecting to it by bluetooth from other devices. I have no idea if this relates to the EQ issue somehow.

Anyone else familiar with this mysterious problem?

BY the way: is there a way to force a firmware update of the echo? Just wondering.

Thanks for any input.

strayfish

Re: Incredibly strange issue regarding EQ
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 11:05:54 am »
I doubt I can help but just to get the ball rolling: is AEORD anything to do with your stereo system? Is your wifi secure so that there's no one else hijacking your system? Is this your only Alexa device?

As to forcing an update, there's a thread describing how to do that but a) from here, I won't be able to find the link for you (sorry), and b) your device will update when it's time, i.e. when the appropriate update is rolled out in your region.

How long have you had it and what version of the software do you have at the moment? The most recent begins 608 so if you have that, you're up to date. If not, it could be your region hasn't got the rollout yet OR it's a new device and it has to download a number of updates before it can install the latest.

Final question that's just occurred to me - is this a shop-bought unit or one you got second hand from a friend or somewhere like eBay?  People have had problems with those in the past.

Ok, end of interrogation! Good luck getting a solution :)

AlanH

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 11:08:49 am »
Regarding your second point, I noticed that my Echo 2nd generation was appearing as a random name of 5 letters in Spotify on my iPad. I forgot the device in Spotify and rebooted both Echo and iPad, and it now appears correctly as Echo Two.

ingeberge

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 11:25:35 am »
Thanks for your reply.

My stereo is all analog and has no bluetooth/wifi capability. So "AEORD" is not the stereo.

Unit was store bought new. Only Echo unit in the house. My Wifi is secure as far as I know. Never had any breaches I'm aware of.  The Alexa App telle me my software is up to date.

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 11:56:28 am »
Hm. Well, Alan's reply (just before yours) sounds similar in that he had a random series of letters suddenly appearing and this was associated with Spotify/iPad. Is that a possibility? As to the sound quality, as the problem occurs when you're streaming directly from Amazon etc and the unit is new and up to date, then it seems to be coming down to an internal issue with the device itself. Unless someone comes up with something better, I'd say get onto Amazon, see what they say, and maybe get a replacement.

ingeberge

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 02:00:40 pm »
For what it's worth, I just did some experimenting. The issue seems to not happen if I make the Echo forget all peripheral devices AND only use the "native" streaming from Amazon Music.  So I think that narrows it down to a bluetooth issue of some sort. Still a bit of a mystery why it's happening.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 02:26:30 pm »
Exactly which Alexa device are you referring to; Echo, Echo Plus or Dot, and is the audio taken from audio out of device into an AUX (or other high level) input of stereo?

ingeberge

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 07:34:51 pm »
It’s an echo. I think I just clued myself in to what may be happening. It may not be a Bluetooth issue so much as a telephony issue.

See, what I’m noticing now is that the issue happens each time I make a phone call with the echo. My guess: the echo optimizes the eq of the audio to fit a voice call, then fails to reset the eq when you go back to music. Obviously the frequencies used for a voice telephone call are going to be horrible when listening to hi-fi music.

So this is a serious glitch, if that is indeed what’s happening. I was able to replicate the error several times by making phone calls. Only way to restore audio quality is then to restart the echo.

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 09:53:40 pm »
My original Echo does not have a headphone out jack, so do you have a newer mpdel Echo Plus?
Only my Dot has audio out.

strayfish

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 03:11:09 am »
It’s an echo. I think I just clued myself in to what may be happening. It may not be a Bluetooth issue so much as a telephony issue.

See, what I’m noticing now is that the issue happens each time I make a phone call with the echo. My guess: the echo optimizes the eq of the audio to fit a voice call, then fails to reset the eq when you go back to music. Obviously the frequencies used for a voice telephone call are going to be horrible when listening to hi-fi music.

So this is a serious glitch, if that is indeed what’s happening. I was able to replicate the error several times by making phone calls. Only way to restore audio quality is then to restart the echo.

Well done you - I don't use mine to make calls so i'd never have figured that one out in a month of Sundays! Worth reporting to Amazon, I'd say.

ingeberge

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 08:19:44 am »
My original Echo does not have a headphone out jack, so do you have a newer mpdel Echo Plus?
Only my Dot has audio out.

Yes it’s a 2nd gen with both a built in speaker and a mini jack out.

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 05:47:47 pm »
Yes, I checked.  It has same high level audio out as the Dots.  The connection on the Dots was VERY tight at first; so much so that they did not make good and full contact with cable lack until plugging in cable a few times to ensure full insertion to make all three contacts on jack set.  I suggest you do this to your Echo.

ingeberge

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 03:04:22 pm »
Definitely not a mechanical issue with the jack.

ingeberge

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 11:16:16 pm »

Me: I want to make Amazon aware of a deep issue with Echo 2nd Gen.
You are now connected to Muhammed from Amazon.com
Me: Hi.
Muhammed: Hello, my name is Muhammed. I'm here to help you today.
Me: Hi. I need to make a report to the development team for the echo 2nd gen.
Muhammed: Hi Inge, nice to meet you.
Me: There is an issue that I doubt you can resolve except by making sure it's adressed in the next firmware update. I also doubt many people are aware of it.
Muhammed: Can you please elaborate your concern?
Me: Yes.
Whenever the echo 2nd generation is connected to any bluetooth device, or you make a phone call on it, the EQ settings change, and do not revert. The bass and volume is boosted and the audio compression parameters change.
Muhammed: Thanks for the information.
Me: They do not change back unless you reboot the device. THis is a rather huge problems for people like me, who are audiophiles and have our Echo hooked up to a high end stereo.
Muhammed: Does it change your the equalizer on your bluetooth device?
Me: No, It's a hardware or firmware issue. It has nothing to do with any user controllable settings.
I've trobleshot the issue for a few hours now and the issue stems entirely from the aux (heaphone) out on the echo, whose EQ changes radically whenever bluetooth is connected to the echo.
Or when a phone call is made.
Muhammed: Okay, I understand your concern.
Me: If you'd like to put one of the developers in touch with me, I can describe the issue directly to him/her in unambiguous terms. The issue basically makes the device unsuitable for hooking up through good speakers/amps. All that needs to happen is an update that makes sure the audio/compression/eq settings revert to default once a phone call is ended, or a bluetooth device is connected. That is all. I hope you include this in your next software version. Can you communicate this to the dev. team?
Muhammed: I'm sorry, I'm unable to connect this chat directly to our development team.
Me: Not talking about this chat. I'm talking about the issue itself. I'd like to see it addressed.
You can give the dev team my phone number. (978) 675-xxxx.
Muhammed: I'm sorry, I'm unable to forward your phone number to our development team directly from my end. I've certain limits to work with this.
If you wish I can forward you to my supervisor.
Me: yes, please
Muhammed: Please be on hold while I transfer this chat to my supervisor.
A Customer Service Associate will be with you in a moment.
You are now connected to Mahendran from Amazon.com
Mahendran: Hello, my name is Mahendran. Please give me a moment to review the previous correspondence.
Me: Thanks.
Mahendran: Thanks for waiting.
I understand you're facing issue making a phone call while the echo is connected to bluetooth device.
Is the EQ changes radically whenever bluetooth is connected to the echo?
Me: The eq changes radically whenever you a) make a phone call or b) connect a bluetooth device. It does not revert to normal unless you reboot the device.
It does not matter if you go back to streaming audio through Alexa native services. It stays corrupt until reboot.
Either action triggers the bug. It can be bluetooth alone or phone call alone. Both are not needed to cause the issue.
Mahendran: I understand what you mean. I'll take this as a feedback and forward it to the technical team.
Thanks for your time to let us know the issue with the Echo dot.
Me: Thanks. It's a great device and I love it but this makes it nearly useless as a high -end music listening device.
Have a great day and I hope this is addressed in the next firmware update.
Mahendran: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
Me: It's not an echo dot, it's an Echo 2nd Gen.
Mahendran: I'm sorry for the typo, Inge.
Me: OK NP. See ya later. THanks for your time.
Mahendran: Thank you for contacting Amazon. Please click on the "End Chat" to close this window.

mike27oct

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 01:33:58 am »
Can you summarize the above conversation in a FEW sentences?  My poor vision made it hard to follow, and I want to know.

I plug a dedicated Dot into my stereo to play music from my home media server, tune in etc, and I use the Dot for nothing else other than some vocal commands once in a while, and have never had a problem.  Not saying that you are not having issues, and they possibly may be caused by your Echo (so have you substituted another Alexa device to test this) or it could be your particular equipment.

Hope you can get it fixed.