Echo & Alexa Forums

Amazon Prime is going up to 119

Amazon Prime is going up to 119
« on: April 26, 2018, 06:43:03 pm »
Look like I will be quiting my membership.  Amazon prime is going up to 119.  there has never really been savings unless you use their other services that came with it.  Amazon Prime prices has almost always been the same as third party sellers even with shipping costs.  I remember when I was looking for a tablet, found one I liked but the manufacturers retail price was 399 and if you got it on amazon with amazon prime, it was 429. 

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/26/amazon-raises-prime-fee-to-119-in-the-us/

Offline jwlv

Re: Amazon Prime is going up to 119
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 06:59:01 pm »
It's likely that I will give up Amazon Prime at my next renewal. I already buy way too many things from Amazon and partially because of the free Prime shipping. My significant other and I have just recently talked about how much we're spending on Amazon. If I cancel Amazon Prime, it'll definitely curb how much I spend on Amazon. The only other service that we use regularly is Prime Music. But I think we can use Pandora or IHeartRadio instead. We rarely watch Prime Video since we have Netflix.

Although the increase is only $20 (just like before), the psychological hurdle of going over $100 is a big one. When they changed the price from $79 to $99 back in 2014, it was not a big deal. I didn't even think twice about it. But this time it's going over the $100 barrier. I expect many current Prime members as well as new potential members will think twice about paying more than $100 for Prime.

Since about 5 years ago, I've noticed that pricing on Amazon has not been as competitive as it used to be. And the constant price fluctuation is quite annoying. Something might be $27.99 one day, and $19.99 the next day, and then jump up to $49.99 for the next 3 months while other places have it for $29.99 all the time. It's like that for many products on Amazon. Just check Camelcamelcamel (a price history site) and you can see the price history and the big fluctuations.

Btw, does anyone else feel that Amazon is getting too big for its own good? I started to think that when they acquired Whole Foods and Ring (the doorbell people). I also feel the same about Google when they acquired Nest (the thermostat people).

I wonder if anyone from Amazon still come to this site. There used to be a couple of higher-ups from Amazon that came here a few years ago. I'm not sure if they still read this forum.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:28:02 pm by jwlv »

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 08:28:19 pm »
Much makes sense, but we still order too much kids B-Day and Xmas stuff that costs $10 for items if shipped separately w/out free shipping.  Amazon has put Toys R Us out of business and lots others we have shopped as it gets bigger than the River it is named after.  We seem to order too much heavy stuff that if shipping were paid. cost would be outta sight.  So, for now we will stick with Prime.
Price may be same for a few years again. 

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 02:28:25 am »
Oh yeah, I've thought Amazon has been too big for it's own good for a long time.  I too saw the jump in Prime Membership.  I need to find someone that will split the cost with me as we don't use any of the offerings other than Prime shipping. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 03:38:39 am »
Amazon is making more profit than ever, $1 billion this past quarter and $1 billion the previous quarter according to CNet. And to reward its loyal customers, they are raising prices. They are already making more money than ever and they want to raise prices to make even more. That sounds like greed to me. Investors are going nuts over this. In after hours trading, Amazon stock price has already risen nearly 7% overnight.

Amazon already knows that Prime members buy twice as many products as non-Prime members. If raising prices cause Prime members to leave, then they'll lose twice as many sales too. It's a dangerous path that they've decided to follow. It could cause a mass exodus and hurt Amazon a great deal. At least they've got a year to figure it out since everyone's renewal date is at different times of the year. If you see Amazon reverse this decision in a few months, you'll already know what happened. :)

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 04:24:48 am »
that is one way to celebrate record profit.  raise prices to get even more profit. 

AlanH

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 01:15:14 pm »
It’s worth pointing out that the price hike only affects Prime members in the US. (other countries are available).

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 02:11:52 pm »
>>> "Investors are going nuts over this. In after hours trading, Amazon stock price has already risen nearly 7% overnight."

Good news for anyone with retirement savings plans that include 500 index fund sorts of investments should be happy to hear this. It can help defray the price rise of being a prime member.

Has anyone else noticed that rising inflation is making a comeback in the economy?

asianrocker

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 06:16:49 am »
Jwlv how did you know Amazon people are going here. I hope they still do.

Happy to read most of you had an awakening. I would never pay that much for anything monthly.

I have my ways. I already said some of them here.

I have 2 words for ya'll: price match. LOL. I Believe  I had posted my experience on that. And got so much bang for my buck during Amazon prime day sale and I am not a prime member nor did I buy it from Amazon.

I love beating these capitalists in their own game.

No I would not make the rich richer in my expense.

Borjas

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 08:15:09 am »
I don't know, it's still a pretty good service. But price increases never sit well with people, me included. I'll stick around with it for a while longer for sure though.